[Solved] Installed AOO on SolydX but no menu listing appears

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
dhinds

[Solved] Installed AOO on SolydX but no menu listing appears

Post by dhinds »

SolydX (a Debian derivitive built on Debian Testing, with XFCE) 32 bit comes with AbiWord installed. LibreOffice can be installed via Synaptic but it hangs up.

So I downloaded the lastest AOO deb installation package from sourceforge, extracted and installed it. (gdebi tells you what dependencies need to be satisfied).

But AOO doesn't appear in the SolydX Menu, even after rebooting.

How can I get it to run?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by dhinds on Thu May 01, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice on Sparky Ultra Openbox and openSUSE at present, AOO on SolydX and Win7
RoryOF

Re: Installed AOO on SolydX but no menu listing appears

Post by RoryOF »

Normally the absence of a menu listing, usually found in the Office group, is due to the omission of

Code: Select all

cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
steps in the install process.

You should also be able to run

Code: Select all

openoffice4
in a terminal.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dhinds

Post by dhinds »

Thanks for the instructions but no luck so far.

The reason:
cedecor@aam5aafx:~$ cd desktop-integration
bash: cd: desktop-integration: No such file or directory

Is an integrated installation application contemplated for Linux in the future? I used oo for many years before the problems with Sun and Oracle arose and I don't recall have to deal with tar.gz files and installing lists of individual files. Installation options were selected at the beginning and from there it was all automatic.
Last edited by dhinds on Thu May 01, 2014 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice on Sparky Ultra Openbox and openSUSE at present, AOO on SolydX and Win7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In my installation package, downloaded from SourceForge, package
Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.0_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-GB.tar.gz
the desktop-integration folder is under DEBS folder.

I open that package with an archive manager, extract it to its default directory (en-GB) and then enter that using a terminal to run the install commands.

Can you give the name of the installation package you downloaded? In some of the beta versions the desktop-integration folder is omitted so that two versions can be installed side by side. Perhaps your version is a beta version.
dhinds

Post by dhinds »

RoryOF wrote:In my installation package, downloaded from SourceForge, package
Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.0_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-GB.tar.gz
the desktop-integration folder is under DEBS folder.
I ran the desktop-integration file from the DEBS folder, as you indicate.
RoryOF wrote:I open that package with an archive manager, extract it to its default directory (en-GB) and then enter that using a terminal to run the install commands.
I used gdebi to install each of the files separately. Maybe downloading to the user's download folder and running an apt-get install or dpkg command would have been more effective.
RoryOF wrote:Can you give the name of the installation package you downloaded? In some of the beta versions the desktop-integration folder is omitted so that two versions can be installed side by side. Perhaps your version is a beta version.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openoff ... z/download

SolydX is in English but I am located in Mexico and the person operating the computer speaks Spanish.

Another difference is, I use separate partitions for downloaded files, applications and data, in addition to the root and home partitions; and sometimes those partitions are ntfs, which I believe was the case in this instance.

It would be very helpful if Aoo was included in the repositories of more distros, if not installed by default. That would take care of the dependencies automatically in most instances. There are not really that many base systems for the hundreds of GNU/Linux distros, which often access the repositories of the parent system, be it debian, fedora, slackware, arch (or gentoo). I personally have depended mostly on Debian derivatives and openSuse, until now; but am looking at slackware and arch systems currently.

This from Sparky Ultra Openbox.

Also,
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The problem of getting OpenOffice in the various distro repositories is under consideration on the Apache developers list. It really needs manpower - someone who knows the repro requirements and will customise the OO release for each version of a distro.

I've stopped distro hopping and standardised on Xubuntu.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

dhinds wrote:It would be very helpful if Aoo was included in the repositories of more distros, if not installed by default. That would take care of the dependencies automatically in most instances.
See the link I've added recently in the first post: [Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
dhinds

[SOLVED] Re: Installed AOO on SolydX but no menu listing app

Post by dhinds »

Thank you RoryOF and Hagar Delest. The problem was solved by:

1.- Following the Instructions provided by Rory, BUT - the system reported a conflict with an archive with the same name in use by LibreOffice (which was hanging up on SolydX, a derivative based on Debian Testing. Ubuntu and its derivatives are -or were- based on Debian also, of course).

2.- So I completely removed the LibreOffice components I had installed earlier with Synaptic, using Synaptic- Hagar's suggestion would have been easier though, if I had seen it in time.

The first time I did it by opening a terminal from inside the desktop-integration folder and the menus appeared - but the applications didn't open. I had to do it a second time from inside the DEBS folder.

Installing each .deb file with gdebi is unnecessary and definitely not the way to go.

openoffice is now up and running on SolydX installed on a desktop box with an Asus M5L78-M LX Plus mb and an AMD FX CPU.

I am happy with my rolling release Debian derivatives and still experimenting with Arch and Slackware derivatives, with openSUSE installed on all computers also. (The most recent version was successfully installed using zypper dub from the earlier one).

Thanks again. Opensource software and mutual help culture is the future of computing, no doubt about it.