[Solved] TOC: deleting structure elements

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
richardfarr

[Solved] TOC: deleting structure elements

Post by richardfarr »

I am trying to learn to navigate Insert Index / Table, but am stuck right at the beginning: under the Entries tab, I need to delete several elements - and I can't. All the instructions I have read say: select the item, then hit delete on your keyboard. When I do this, nothing happens. I'm using a Mac, if that makes any difference.

(BTW I have access to exactly the right TOC format in another doc. Is there any way to copy that whole "look" or format over to the new doc?)

Thanks!
Last edited by richardfarr on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 3.4.0 on a Mac Mavericks
acknak

Re: TOC: deleting structure elements

Post by acknak »

Sorry, as far as I know, there's no way to copy a ToC configuration. But now that I think about it, I don't remember ever trying to. Did you try a simple copy/paste? You may need to select a paragraph before/after the ToC if you can't select it directly.

At any rate, if I click on one of the entry items, it turns gray; if I then press Delete, it's removed. What happens for you there?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
richardfarr

Post by richardfarr »

The item goes gray when clicked, but Delete does nothing. (And I've tried many other key combinations too!) I did find a sort-of workaround, which was to replace the elements I didn't want with repeats of "E#". So I now have at least roughly what I want. Will have to try the cut-and-paste idea later today.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Moved to Mac forum. The Delete key works for me in Windows, so it's either a fluke on your computer or a bug. You may find that out sooner here.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

richardfarr wrote:All the instructions I have read say: select the item, then hit delete on your keyboard. When I do this, nothing happens. I'm using a Mac, if that makes any difference.
On my Mac's keyboard, and probably on yours, the key at the right side of the row of keys containing the digits is Backspace, not Delete, even though the label on the key says "delete".
Screen shot 2014-04-24 at 08.28.36 .png
To send the Delete keycode to an application, hold fn while pressing that key.
Screen shot 2014-04-24 at 08.28.37.png
Note that my fn key also changes (arrow keys) Left to Home, Up to Page Up, Down to Page Down, and Right to End.

If this answered your question please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
richardfarr

Re: [SOLVED] TOC: deleting structure elements

Post by richardfarr »

Thank you! Don't know why I didn't come up with that myself. (I tried Cmd-Del, Cmd-Opt-Del, etc etc!) FN+DEL is it.
jimlefevre

Re: [Solved] TOC: deleting structure elements

Post by jimlefevre »

THANK YOU!!

I did not know that about the fn key and delete. I suspect this is going to be massively useful in a lot of other programs!

Thank you

Jim
OpenOffice 3.1 on Macbook Pro