[Solved] Removing linked files

Discuss the word processor
LeroyTennison

[Solved] Removing linked files

Post by LeroyTennison »

I inserted a section linking it to an external file which worked fine. Now I want to remove that content from the document I inserted it in and can't seem to find an easy way. Edit->Links allows me to change the reference but not remove the content altogether. Format->Sections allows me to do the same or remove the link to the file but not the content itself. Hiding the content then removing the reference doesn't help either. I suppose I could change the reference to a zero-length file then remove the section but that seems convoluted. Is there a straightforward way to remove the link and its contents, basically undoing the effect of the insert?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS)
mgroenescheij
Volunteer

Re: Removing linked files

Post by mgroenescheij »

Why don't you try to rename the linked file?
When you open the document it asks you if you want to update the links and all there is left is a message that it could not update the links.
AOO 4.1.5 on MS Windows 10 Professional & MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5
Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

When you Insert > Section, AOO adds it in with Write protect enabled.

Format > Sections allows you to remove this Write protection; to remove the link; and, if you highlight the section name, and select the Remove button, to remove the section and its contents.

Please edit your post title to [Solved] if this solves the problem.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
LeroyTennison

Post by LeroyTennison »

mgroenescheij's suggestion worked and is probably the best solution other than an explicit "remove section contents" within Writer. Maybe I misunderstood but I tried John_Ha's suggestion and it removed the link to the file but left it's content. What I did (after inserting the section as a link to the file) was:

Format->Sections, highlighted the section (it was the only one in the document) and removed the check mark from Protected under Write Protection then clicked OK.
Selected Format->Sections again, highlighted the section and clicked Remove. The contents remained.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS)