Characters Have Been Changed On A Document

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
MTCM

Characters Have Been Changed On A Document

Post by MTCM »

I went to open a document, a few moments ago, and what happened was, first off, I got a box popping up, that is called ASCII Filter Options. I did nothing, but when the document came up, all of the text looked like this: ############. How can I fix this? This is some important items, here, that I have no way of getting, again.
Thanks for your help.
Open Office 3 on Windows 8
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Characters Have Been Changed On A Document

Post by jrkrideau »

MTCM wrote:I went to open a document, a few moments ago, and what happened was, first off, I got a box popping up, that is called ASCII Filter Options. I did nothing, but when the document came up, all of the text looked like this: ############. How can I fix this? This is some important items, here, that I have no way of getting, again.
Thanks for your help.

You probably cannot. See 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs for a discussion.

Try searhing for the title in the forum (search box at top of page). The issue comes up periodically and in some of the threads there may be something you can try with recovery software or, perhaps you can find a backup or temp file.

In fact, have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69046
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
MTCM

Post by MTCM »

No luck, to this point. Trying all of the different things I've seen on the other threads, even using recuva, but even the recovered files are doing the same thing. I've always liked OO, but after this experience, I have to admit serious reservations about ever using it again.
Open Office 3 on Windows 8
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

In the future whatever software you use you need a good backup strategy.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2