[Solved] Report Builder sees only table, not query

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
weematt

[Solved] Report Builder sees only table, not query

Post by weematt »

The BACKGROUND: I have been working on a phone listing and can generate a nice report based on a table with First Name, Surname, Phone Numbers all nicely laid out and sorted. Page breaks and grouping all under control. This was done using the "Create Report in Design View" method.
I decided it would be nice to concatenate the First Name and Surname and have created a query that does this using Concat function in SQL. I now have a Query with all the original data plus the concatenated names (alias 'WholeName').

The PROBLEM: When I try to create a new report, using "Create Report in Design View" the Query does not appear when I insert a Text Box. Only the original table elements appear in the Data/Data Field drop down list. No sign of 'WholeName', no choice of Table or Query. Report Builder seems to default to the original table.

The QUESTION: How do I get the report builder to point at the Query?
Last edited by weematt on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7 Home premium
Sliderule
Volunteer

Re: Report Builder sees only table, not query

Post by Sliderule »

weematt:

You wrote / asked:
weematt wrote:The QUESTION: How do I get the report builder to point at the Query?
After opening your report . . .
  1. Display ( show ) the Report Properties . . . EITHER:
    1. Press F4
    2. From the Menu: View -> Properties
  2. Display the Report Navigator . . . EITHER
    1. Press F5
    2. From the Menu: View -> Navigator
  3. Click on Report ( at the top ) of the Report navigator window
  4. Click on the Data tab
  5. Click on the Content type drop-down, and, choose: Query
  6. Click on the Content drop-down, and, choose the Query name you defined in your database
  7. From the Add Field window, you should now be able to include the desired fields to your report . . . in the section ( for example, Page Header, Group Header, Detail, etc ) you wish :)
I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your 1st post Subject (edit buton top right) if this isue has ben resolved..
weematt

Re: Report Builder sees only table, not query

Post by weematt »

I seem to have found the answer:

When Oracle Report Builder window is active press F5 which opens Report Navigator.
Click on Report in the Report Navigator.
In the Editor, on right, click on the Data tab.
Go to Content Type and select Query or Table as required from drop down list. (The empty Add Field pop-up will appear.)
Go to Content and select the specific Query or Table required.(The Add Field pop-up will now list the fields from the selected object.)

Maybe there is another way but this worked for me.

EDIT: This post must nearly have collided with Sliderule's reply which put it better than I did.

Thanks again to Sliderule.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7 Home premium