[Solved] Yellow highlighting won't go away

Discuss the word processor
dbix11

[Solved] Yellow highlighting won't go away

Post by dbix11 »

Hello I am having an annoying issue. Currently I am writing up my resume' and all seems swell and fine until I reopen to document. What I end up having is a yellow highlighter mark from the bulletin to right before the first letter of the word. I have tried many things with the formatting and the colors but it seems to have no effect. What is even weirder is at different times when i open it the yellow marking can be seen on different parts of the document.

For example i have it open now and i have a list of what i did at this employer and each bullet point will have that yellow marking, next time I open it it could be fine where it previously had the yellow marking but now its in at a different employer section of the resume'. This is really odd and its hard to state you are proficient with MS Office when you have all these random yellow markings everywhere!

Thank you for any help.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.01 on Windows 7
acknak

Re: Yellow highlighting wont go away

Post by acknak »

Hi and welcome to the community forum!

Are you sure it's not some sort of screen glitch? Does the yellow highlight show up on the preview (File > Page Preview)? How about when you print or export to pdf?

Also, what file format are you saving to? Saving to any format other than OOo's native ODF format (.odt for text) carries some risk of losing (or changing) formatting. If you're not saving as ODF, try that and see if you still see the problem.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It would be useful if you could upload a short sample file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Could this be the field shading for the bullets? Field shading is gray by default, but it can be changed.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
acknak

Post by acknak »

Good point. I didn't think the description quite matched the bullet list shading but it's easy to check: View > Field Shading: ON/OFF should toggle it.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It's a better match if spaces instead of tabs are used to separate the bullet and text. With spaces, the field shading goes all the way to the text.
lino
Volunteer

Post by lino »

Try:
Edit > Changes > [uncheck] Record
Edit > Changes > Accept or Reject > Accept all
Save
TheLaumManiac

Post by TheLaumManiac »

What I end up having is a yellow highlighter mark from the bulletin to right before the first letter of the word. I have tried many things with the formatting and the colors but it seems to have no effect. What is even weirder is at different times when i open it the yellow marking can be seen on different parts of the document.
I had this exact problem, the yellow highlight on my indented bullet points would leave.
If you:
right-click the problem area of bullets
select "Bullets and Numbering"
go to the "Options" tab
and then change the character style it should go away.
It did for me and the bullets remained consistent with the document!
:D
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Windows 7 64bit
Konarski Tucson UA

Post by Konarski Tucson UA »

Hi,

Highlight the affected area from which you want to remove the yellow highlight, and then do two things while maintaining the highlight: 1) Make sure you have the Text Highlight Color feature set to clear; and 2) make sure you have the Shading feature set to clear.

Both the Text Highlight Color and Shading features are usually found at the top of your Word document, in the tool lineup.

I bring the above to your attention because I have been in your situation more than once. So, I hope this helps.

Regards,

Patricia Konarski Tucson
--Freelance editor, bookkeeper and book collector (retired librarian)
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

"Highlighting" and "shading" are MS Word features. In Apache OpenOffice Writer, they are "highlighting" and "background color". They both have a "No fill" option, but no "clear" option.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I seem to rememberthis being a problem because of the way in which AOO handles highlighting? shading? background colour? from MS Word doc files. IT isn't highlighting in AOO.

Have you tried Format > Paragraph > Background colour?

A workaround would be to Edit > Cut the items, and paste them back with Edit > Paste special > Unformatted. This removes all formatting. Or highlight > Clear formatting (top selection in the box to the left of the font names). Or place the cursor in some similar, properly formatted item; then click the Formatting brush, and wipe the brush over the highlighted text.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also: [Solved+Issue] Highlighting: major problem with MS Word.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
billjuice

Post by billjuice »

This is NOT a workaround. This is THE solution.
Problem: somehow, your bullet/number (henceforth, "bullet") has become highlighted.
Solution: select the bullet, then use the highlighting tool and select "no fill." DONE!

Problem with the Solution: Normally, when you select a bullet, the bullet (along with the rest of the bullets in the same level) will highlight grey to denote that they have been selected. However, because your bullets are already highlighted, you cannot discern whether or not you've actually selected them.

So...the new issue is: How can I discern whether or not I've selected the bullet, so that I can then change/remove the highlighting?

Answer:
1) Turn on Status Bar. From the menu bar, View > Status Bar
A status bar will appear at the bottom of the screen.

2) Click on any line that is a bulleted line.
In the status bar, towards the right, it will display something like "WWNum 8 : Level 2". I'm not sure what WWNum8 refers to, but what you're looking for is the fact that it says " : Level 2" because the Level status indicates you are in fact on a bulleted line.

3) Now, on a DIFFERENT line, place your cursor over a bullet. Click the bullet.
If this worked, the status bar will not say "WWNum 8 : Level 2." Instead, it will display only "Level 2". This denotes that, yes, you have selected the Level of bullets. Hurray! [If this doesn't work the first time, keep trying step "3)" until the status bar displays "Level 2"--or 1 or 3 or 5, whichever level you happen to be on.]

4) Once the Level is selected, use the highlight tool and choose "no fill." DONE!
Mac OS 10.9.4
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0
Megablob

Post by Megablob »

TheLaumManiac wrote:
What I end up having is a yellow highlighter mark from the bulletin to right before the first letter of the word. I have tried many things with the formatting and the colors but it seems to have no effect. What is even weirder is at different times when i open it the yellow marking can be seen on different parts of the document.
I had this exact problem, the yellow highlight on my indented bullet points would leave.
If you:
right-click the problem area of bullets
select "Bullets and Numbering"
go to the "Options" tab
and then change the character style it should go away.
It did for me and the bullets remained consistent with the document!
:D
This method worked for me! Thanks!!
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
mbori

Re: [Solved] Yellow highlighting won't go away

Post by mbori »

Well I also have this problem from time to time and believe it even you can select the whole document and select no fill and still there
The only way to remove i can find is to undo the bullets and then redo them
annoyingly the bullets will change dots but when you close and open the dots will be the same again

Currently I am here to find out how to turn off the highlight fill jug tool which will not go away
Think it may be time to switch off the pc ;and switch on again ... sigh
Apache Open Office 4.12
josemosciaro

Re: [Solved] Yellow highlighting won't go away

Post by josemosciaro »

Click on [View]
Click on the left empty side of [Track Changes]

Solved!!!
OpenOffice 4.1.