Encription

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
scribneoir

Encription

Post by scribneoir »

I have a Vizio, Windows 7. I was working on a document, a music dictionary, no symbols, straight up text. I hit the back arrow and it turned the entire document into pound signs. No clue how to restore it. Anyone know what to do? Thanks.
Windows 7, Micro 10
Open Office 4.0
acknak

Re: encription

Post by acknak »

Welcome to the community forum--sorry you're having trouble.

So it sounds like you pressed a key and your document instantly changed into ### ...

Is that what happened? Or maybe you found the #s the next time you opened it?

Unfortunately, when a document opens to show nothing but #s it's damaged and nothing can be recovered from it.

You can check in the OO temporary files location; sometimes there is a leftover copy of the last document there.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
scribneoir

Re: encription

Post by scribneoir »

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I will give it a try. I forgot to include in the post that when I click on the file there is a pop up ASCII Filter Options. Is that helpful? Catherine
Windows 7, Micro 10
Open Office 4.0
Hagar Delest

Re: Encription

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sadly, quite nothing to do I fear, see: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OO Tools>Options>OO>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers. If you have not rebooted, you might have those files still there.

If you want to help fix this problem, you can also do this survey created for this very problem: Document Recovery Survey.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10