[Solved] Install OO 4.0.1 on Ubuntu 13.10

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
spikels6

[Solved] Install OO 4.0.1 on Ubuntu 13.10

Post by spikels6 »

Downloaded the .tar.gz in Debian 64 en-US. New PC and hard drive using Ubuntu 13-10, so I thought i would install the latest version. I was able to Extract the tar.gz once and install the Desktop-Integration. The program would not install. So I repeated the operation with a new download, got he program to install, but not the Desktop-Integration. I next deleted all the downloads to start with a fresh download of /home/mike/Downloads/Apache_OpenOffice_4.0.1_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz.

What should my next step be?

Spike
Last edited by spikels6 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice.org 3.4
Linux Ubuntu 12-04
RoryOF

Re: Install OO 4.0.1

Post by RoryOF »

The quick method is to ensure that no trace of LibreOffice is left. I do this in Ubuntu by using Synaptic, finding libreoffice-core* and Uninstalling that and linked programs. Then go through the previous OpenOffice install process. Remember there are two levels

Code: Select all

cd en-US
cd DEBS
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
The installed OpenOffice should show up in the Office group. Else open a terminal and type openoffice4
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
spikels6

Post by spikels6 »

My Terminal Command Line is: mike@mike-desktop:~$. The en-US extracted file is in /Home/Downloads/en-US. How do I point Terminal to the file to run the "sudo dpkg -i *.deb command?
I am lacking in my ability to get around Terminal.

Spike
OpenOffice.org 3.4
Linux Ubuntu 12-04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Open a terminal and

Code: Select all

cd /Home/Downloads/en-US/DEBS
Note that Linux is case sensitive.
spikels6

Post by spikels6 »

That is the CD command I had been using, but only occassionly would it downinto the tree one folder. So I copies your CD command and still get"bash: cd: /Home/Downloads/en-US/DEBS: No such file or directory"

Anything else I can try, or can I provide more information for you?

Spike
OpenOffice.org 3.4
Linux Ubuntu 12-04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Work through the command step by step. Remember that there is a space between cd and the directory. Start with 'dir' (no quotes). then cd Downloads, then dir to see what next level directory is, and so on, stepping down each time. If you are going to the next level directory, you don't need the /

I've just checked on my system - the comand should be
cd /Home/Downloads/en-US/DEBS
as terminal will open on your Home directory.

Just play about with the above individual commands and you'll find all will suddenly be clear!

Going back up a level is cd .. (two full stops)
spikels6

[SOLVED] Install OO 4.0.1

Post by spikels6 »

Finally, the step by step worked. I should have made a print out of the Terminal command strings I used. AOO 4.0.1 installed correctly and is working fine.

Thank you very much for your help. Just like old Lotus 123, just one character out of place ruins the entire operation.

Spike
OpenOffice.org 3.4
Linux Ubuntu 12-04