Multiselection - YES

Creating and using forms
petrika

Multiselection - YES

Post by petrika »

Form field > select it to get green boxes around > Control > General > scroll down > 'Multiselection' option : what is the meaning?

Which type of control it works?

If the form field is a 'Listbox', I can select multiple data?

thnx
Open office 4.0 on Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Multiselection - YES

Post by Villeroy »

You can not bind a list box to multiple values in the same field. This may be useful for programmers. Until now I have never used a multi-selection list box.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
papijo

Post by papijo »

Villeroy wrote:You can not bind a list box to multiple values in the same field. This may be useful for programmers. Until now I have never used a multi-selection list box.
I agree that "You can not bind a list box to multiple values in the same field." But, how on earth can the multiselection be "useful for programmers"? Why does the OO Wiki say "If the MultiSelection property is set to True, more than one entry can be selected. " if it does not work? :knock:
LO: LibreOffice 6.4.0.3 (x64) on Windows 10 64bits. Split database HSQL 2.3.4.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You can select multiple values but only one field in one record can be written to the database backend. Did you try to bind a a multi box to a database field? If Base would be more developed, it would be thinkable to bind a multi-box to an array field but this is not the case. Base can not handle any array fields at all.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
MTP
Volunteer

Post by MTP »

papijo wrote:how... can the multiselection be "useful for programmers"?
A macro could read the multiple selections out of the list box and write them or use them wherever the programmer wanted.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

MultiListBox.odt
Test multi-select box with Bibliography database.
(16.3 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

so then which is the purpose of multi-select in base forms listbox ? or... is there a way to use it ?
OpenOffice last version | Mageia Linux x64 | Ubuntu Linux | Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 | Java last version
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

One common use that comes to mind would be to select a few items from the list and press a button to display a list properties for each of the selected items for comparison.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

so in base forms cant i use it ?
OpenOffice last version | Mageia Linux x64 | Ubuntu Linux | Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 | Java last version
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You can use it anywhere you can.
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

in base forms with the multiselection enabled, and using the control, i am unable to do multiple selections on a listbox, what am i missing ?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

A list box puts one value into its linked field.
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

so it is a design limitation ?
ok, but surely we can do some trick from basic and when detect two selected items show some msgbox or some.... otherwise we have that feature unuseful.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

YOU are the programmer. It is YOUR obligation to collect an array of values from your control element and do what you want with it.
myself wrote:You can not bind a list box to multiple values in the same field. This may be useful for programmers. Until now I have never used a multi-selection list box.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Here is an example of how the Multiselection might be used. It is based on the stand alone form the Villeroy posted earlier.
Attachments
Demo09B.odb
(21.87 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11