Converting Impress Files to Powerpoint files

Discuss the presentation application
Chuck115

Converting Impress Files to Powerpoint files

Post by Chuck115 »

Alright, I have a project due tomorrow that I have to do in Powerpoint, as all of the computers at my school have MS Office, but I don't have Office myself, and was wondering if, by using Impress, I could do the presentation, save it as a MS Office Powerpoint file, and put it on a school computer directly, or if I would have to convert files.

I'm sorry if this has been posted already, but I really need to get this done quickly, and the posts that I could find on this subject made no sense to me, I don't know what kind of file MS Office recognizes for a saved Powerpoint file, and I need to know if the file I save can be recognized by the school computers or if I will have to run it through a converter.

Also, the computer will not have access to the internet when I try to get it, so if I have to use a converter, I will need to be able to convert it before I go to school tomorrow morning.

Please help!
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Converting Impress Files to Powerpoint files. *Please Help*

Post by squenson »

Yes, you can save an Impress file at PowerPoint format. Simply do a File > Save As, and choose in the combo box "Save as Type" the most frequently used PowerPoint format called "97/2000/XP (.ppt)". Save the file on your local hard drive, then copy it onto a USB key. THe file should properly open with Microsoft PowerPoint, but it is better to test it before, of course.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
Cambirder
Volunteer

Post by Cambirder »

probably a bit late for your current situation, but the alternative solution would be to use Impress, with OpenOffice Portable Portable running on a usb memory stick.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Last workaround if you don't need the animations: save as PDF.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed. Also tell us what you've done.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10