[Solved] Minutes of Meeting with action column

Using them, Making them, Finding them
466385@tiscali.co.uk

[Solved] Minutes of Meeting with action column

Post by 466385@tiscali.co.uk »

Hi all,

I've struggled to create a format for writing minutes of meetings that contain a column on the right for initials (for action points). It's no good using the Columns function because the text will switch to the top of the second column instead of on to the next page.

The only way I've been able to achieve something workable has been to click on Tables/two columns, then adjust the right hand column to about 20mm wide.

I can then complete my minutes, complete with bullets/numbering, which scroll over to second, third pages, etc. I then have to click on the top of the second column and hit return till I get to the line where I want to add the initials. I then continue hitting return to the next position, etc. The only problem with this is that if I adjust the body text, I have to check that it's not thrown out the initials positioning, but it's no big deal; just a chore.

What is a nuisance, though, is that below the "table" is a return character in a plain document format, ie the action of creating a table pushes the top of the normal page down instead of replacing it. If I finish near the bottom of a page, this pushes me over on to a new, blank page and also throws out the page x of y pages count, so I can't ignore it and just print out the pages that have text on them.

Is there a better way?

Thanks,

Ian
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OO latest version; Windows 7 X64 SP1
RoryOF

Re: Minutes of Meeting with action column

Post by RoryOF »

Try inserting as footnotes and later run Hanya's sidenotes macro before printing.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
466385@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks, Rory. I'll check it out.

Ian
466385@tiscali.co.uk

Hi again,

Downloaded the script files but have had considerable difficulty in trying to find out how to use the file. I gave up when I was stopped from looking in Tools\Options\Open Office\Java by a warning about needing a JRE. I have Java installed already but that doesn't seem help. I think I'll have to give this one a miss until I have a lot more time to investigate. Thanks, anyway.

Ian
acknak

Post by acknak »

466385@tiscali.co.uk wrote:... minutes of meetings that contain a column on the right for initials (for action points). ...
I'm still not quite clear if your goal here is to make a box or ___ for someone to initial on a paper printout, or whether you need to enter the initials in the actual document.

In either case, I would think a table would be the right way to manage it from a conceptual standpoint, since the number, agenda item and initials are each part of the same record and a table row is perfect for such a relationship. But it sounds like you have multiple items in the same table row, which seems like it would just make things more complicated. Maybe I misunderstood what you described.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
JohnV
Volunteer

Post by JohnV »

then have to click on the top of the second column and hit return till I get to the line where I want to add the initials.
Turn on Direct Cursor to avoid all the returns and just click where you want to type.
Tools > Options > Writer > Formatting Aids > Direct Cursor.
466385@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks, acknak. I enclose sample pages, one as printed, the other with non-printing chars, for information. You'll see the piece at the bottom, below the table, which is what I'd like to get rid of, but can't. If I have to live with that, then johnV's idea may save time, but I don't know how I'd adjust the position if the main text is changed, until I try.

Thanks, both. If there's a quick answer to this query, I'd appreciate it. I came unstuck on sidenotes whist reading the tutorials, when it said "...run the script".
Attachments
min2.jpg
min1.jpg
acknak

Post by acknak »

I think there is a way to actually delete the orphan paragraph after the table but I can't remember or figure out what it is.

Two workarounds I know of:

1) Change the font size of the orphan paragraph to something tiny: 2pt or so. This may be enough to prevent the extra page.

2) Insert a hidden paragraph field in the empty paragraph: Insert > Fields > Other > Functions > Type: Hidden Paragraph; Condition: 1 (or T); Click "Insert" & Close.

You may still see the paragraph in the second case, depending on your Writer settings, but it won't print and it won't cause the extra page.
466385@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks, acknak; looking good. The second still results in a new page, but the first method is a workable solution. Thanks. I think we can call this solved, if not in the absolutely correct way.

Ian
acknak

Post by acknak »

466385@tiscali.co.uk wrote:... The second still results in a new page, ...
In the editing view, yes (and only if View > Hidden paragraphs is ON), but not in File > Page Preview or in the printed (or pdf) output.
466385@tiscali.co.uk

Re: [Solved] Minutes of Meeting with action column

Thanks, acknak. I think I'll stay with chr size reduction as the answer, though. Much simpler.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

466385@tiscali.co.uk wrote:Hi again,

Downloaded the script files but have had considerable difficulty in trying to find out how to use the file. I gave up when I was stopped from looking in Tools\Options\Open Office\Java by a warning about needing a JRE. I have Java installed already but that doesn't seem help. I think I'll have to give this one a miss until I have a lot more time to investigate. Thanks, anyway.

Ian
Because of code changes in OpenOffice 4, I don't think Hanya's sidenotes macro will work with OO 4. Sorry to have misled you.

If using version 3.x of OpenOffice, the Sidenote facility is accessed on the Insert menu.
466385@tiscali.co.uk

No problem, Rory. Thanks for trying to help.

Ian
Greengiant224

Post by Greengiant224 »

466385@tiscali.co.uk wrote:Hi again,

Ian
Are you using a 64bit java? You need a 32bit Java to access AOO/LO and their extensions also, remember
that some extensions will not work in AOO/LO v 4+. They need to be updated to be compatible.

Kind regards

Greengiant224

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
466385@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks Greengiant, but I'm satisfied with the simple solution of making the character size in the residual document page as small as possible. I can live with that till OO comes up with something better, though I wonder how many people would actually benefit besides me.

Ian
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

466385@tiscali.co.uk wrote: ... below the "table" is a return character in a plain document format
Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2994 which says pressing ctrl/shift/del when in the last cell deletes the following paragraph return.

But be careful! Once deleted, you cannot put it back.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
466385@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks, John, but it doesn't work for me. Changing the size of font in the box works fine.

Ian
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

but it doesn't work for me
That's strange - it works OK for me - see attached table.odt where the first table was inserted as normal, but after inssrting the second table, I removed the follwoing paragraph return.

**** Edit. Oh no it doesn't! It comes back when I save the file and open it again! ****

There are options in Format > AutoCorrect > AutoCorrect options, and Tools > Options which might be worth looking at. If I remember correctly, it used to be an option in "Compatibility with MS Word" where you could opt to have the following paragraph return or not. It is needed in general because if you don't have it, then once you insert a table as the last thing in a document, you cannot add anything after it as you have nowhere to click.

I too use 2pt returns after tables...

Incidentally, looking at your minutes, I would be tempted to set up a 2 column table, and have each item as a row. Then you keep the action initials with the text even if you add text to a different item.

A real sneaky way to add the initials would be in a frame (or an image) which you linked to a paragraph or even to a character. They would then move with the text ...
Attachments
table.odt
(8.82 KiB) Downloaded 364 times

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
466385@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks, John. Some ideas worth looking at.

Ian
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Ian

See minutes.odt. Top version is done with Frame, but the problem is the frame could easily get misplaced.

The bottom is much better. It is done with a 3 column table with no borders, with 3rd column in the page margin to accept the initials. The 3rd column is formatted with Table > Select column; Table > Table properties > Text flow > vertical alignment = Bottom, which puts the initials at the bottom.

You can now add text anywhere to any other minute, or this minute, and the initials will move with the last line of this minute. Set up the template with the table with many rows. Make sure Table > Table boundaries is ticked so you can see the table when editing.
Attachments
minutes.odt
(13.57 KiB) Downloaded 458 times

466385@tiscali.co.uk

John, I think you may just have solved the problem as far as the third column is concerned, but this wouldn't automatically renumber if I squeeze a new item in or delete one. I also use insets:

1 Heading, Level 1
.....1.1 Level 2
..........1.1.1 Level 3
etc.

Ian

PS - excuse the dots; when I post, the spaces disappear.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Hint: To maintain the spaces, press the [code] button on Post a Reply or Full Editor screens, or use [code] [/code] tags about your space sensitive input on the Quick Reply screen.
466385@tiscali.co.uk

Sorry, Rory, what's the code button? Oops! - just spotted it, about 5mm above where I wrote "code".

Another training tip! Thanks,

Ian
Blooming

Post by Blooming »

Hi dear,
I suggest you to try ready to go meeting minutes template or if you can use Microsoft Word then i sugges to you download some templates from MS's office template site at https://templates.office.com/en-us/Minutes or meeting minutes template from Dotxes at http://www.dotxes.com/topics/minutes should be helpful. As those templates are ready to go and with 95% perfect spacing and mangers...
Last edited by thomasjk on Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: disabled live link
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows 8
466385@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks, blooming. I've struggled along with 2 columns all year, bur I'll check out the suggested solutions, not least because I now have Word.

Thanks again,

Ian