Is there a way to auto-number lines in a table?

Discuss the word processor
Af.

Is there a way to auto-number lines in a table?

Post by Af. »

I need continuous auto-numbering in text document, including lines in a table. I tried to tick chechbox "Include this paragraph into line numbering" for styles "Table", "Table content", "Table heading". I even tried to tick menu item "Tools -> Line numbering -> Lines in text frame." This did not add line numbers to table lines. Enumeration simply stops at table begining an continues after table end.

There is assertion: "problem with the table is that it removes the automatic line numbering" - http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... er+#p38220 As I think it could mean: subject is a property of table and a way it realised in LibreOffice.

Is it possible to create continuos line numbering for text document? And how it can be done, if possible?

I'm using Libre Office 3.4.5 and Ubuntu 10.04. May be the feature exist in Open Office?

P.S. I need this for effective use of feature "print comments at the and of page/document" available in print dialog. Comments are special object (yelow stikers outside document, see menu "Insert -> Comment") on printed document they are addressed by line numbers. If a table is rather big, a line number nearest to a comment could be on the other page or farther more.
LibreOffice from PPA for Ubuntu on several versions of Ubuntu Linux
acknak

Re: Is there a way to auto-number lines in a table?

Post by acknak »

Sorry, but I don't see any way to make OOo (of any flavor) number lines that are part of a table.

The only approach I can think of is to avoid using the built-in numbering and instead make a "ruler" that provides numbers and appears in the margins. You can make it appear on every page automatically by making it part of a header or footer.

I don't know if that will accomplish what you want, but it's all I can think of to suggest. Maybe someone else has a different idea?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If there is a comment to almost every line, then perhaps a table is the way to go. If the comments are fewer, they could be placed as footnotes, which prevents the use of footnotes for textual commentary, but endnotes are still available.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Maybe I misunderstood, but I think the goal for the numbering is to provide a coordinate system for referring to parts of the text. The references appear in comments that are not part of the text itself.

If that's correct, then it would be important to number the lines without having to modify the document content, or at least as little modification as possible.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

acknak wrote:Maybe I misunderstood, but I think the goal for the numbering is to provide a coordinate system for referring to parts of the text. The references appear in comments that are not part of the text itself.

If that's correct, then it would be important to number the lines without having to modify the document content, or at least as little modification as possible.
I understood so, acknak, but if it can't be done as line-numbers, use of footnotes might be an alternate method.
acknak

Post by acknak »

OIC, use footnotes instead of comments--the notes come with their own references into the text. No need for line numbers at all.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For those who are interested line numbering of the page is dealt with in
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... _numbering

A table is an insertion into the text and falls outside the line numbering. Ordinary comments are printed with annotation Page: n Line: m
Comments attached to a table simply have annotation Page: n, with no line or row reference.
Af.

Post by Af. »

acknak wrote:... I think the goal for the numbering is to provide a coordinate system for referring to parts of the text. The references appear in comments that are not part of the text itself.
Yes, it is. Human processing sequence is: from _printed_ copy read a comment and then find a corresponding portion of text. Usage of footnotes and endnotes is perfect for reverse direction. It is not possible to find fast note's index inside a printed page with text.

Comments are in fact questions for discussion, smth. like paper review. For example: I prepared a document, I have questions if there was something right or wrong formulated in text and I'm going to speek with a consultant, taking with me a printed copy of text with a list of the questions-comments.

For me it is possible to make "comments" or else a part of text, but if it is not hard to "walk" throw all of them one by one, having only printed copy.
LibreOffice from PPA for Ubuntu on several versions of Ubuntu Linux
acknak

Post by acknak »

Here's a sample document that has a ruler on each page, as part of the page footer. It won't provide exact line numbers since the spacing on the ruler does not (and cannot) match the text lines, but the alignment should be good enough for this purpose, and you can add or remove the ruler without changing the document.
Attachments
sample_page_ruler.odt
(27.47 KiB) Downloaded 546 times
mgroenescheij
Volunteer

Post by mgroenescheij »

Hi,

What you can do is to create a new Paragraph Style e.g. If your Paragraph Style is Textbody and you have set Outline and Numbering to Numbering 1 you create a new Style based on Textbody and name it Tablebody with Outline and Numbering to Numbering 1
Now you have to select all text outside the table and set the numbering on from the toolbar.
To include the table rows select the first column and set the Style to Tablebody hit the numbering button on the toolbar and the numbering should be OK.

Martin
AOO 4.1.5 on MS Windows 10 Professional & MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5
Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
Chalmers44

Post by Chalmers44 »

GIVE THE MAN OR WOMAN A CIGAR!!!! This post by mgroeneschelj worked, and was simple to execute.

THANK YOU! Chop
NeoOffice 3.1.1 with MacOS X 10.6.6
acknak

Post by acknak »

Glad that it helped you.

But for anyone else who comes here: this is NOT a solution for the original question.
boekhoffm

Post by boekhoffm »

@mgroenescheij: You are a ******* genius!

Saved me lots of time - I just wanted to number the rows so that I could compare the table against an updated document.

Thank you and please keep up the good work!
OpenOffice-4.1.6 on Windows 7