Can we expand the allowed file types?

The place for discussions and decisions about the forum
acknak

Can we expand the allowed file types?

Post by acknak »

The restriction on what file types are allowed for attachments cause undue problems. I think they should be removed entirely--or at least expanded to include .csv and .txt text files.

The restrictions don't help: it's a simple test on the file name; a moderately sophisticated user can already attach any type of file just by changing the file name.

If someone attaches an inappropriate file, we can handle it by notifications and a moderator can delete the file--just as we already do.

The restrictions complicate and confuse new/beginning users when we ask them to attach a file; for example:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=66947

If the user needs to attach a text file, we have to explain and they have to figure out how to zip the file, or change the name.

As far as I can see, the change(s) can be made through the admin control panel (no sysadmin needed) but I don't understand the permissions screen(s) clearly to do it myself. I don't see any single setting that says "allow any file" but maybe I missed it.

It might be possible for a bad actor to attach a malicious file of some kind by editing an old post; I don't know if that change would bump the post/thread up to the "new/changed" threads where someone would be likely to see it. But that's already possible so it's no worse at least.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Can we expand the allowed file types?

Post by floris v »

Good idea. You can change those options in the admin panel, but I had to search a while for the right pane. ;)
Third tab - Messages (I have the Dutch language interface, so bear with me, I will get some of the captions wrong).
In the left navigation area, select Organize Extension groups (third below Attachments).
That lists
- Documents - Allowed,
- Plain text - Not allowed.
Click the green gear to change options for plain text and tick Allowed and Allowed in private messages.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

+1

As acknak says, we can quickly remove any objectionable file. It at least would make sense that the main file types of the suite could be uploaded.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

+1
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

+1.

I've allowed all extensions except: Flash, Real media (ram, rm) and Windows media (wma, wmv).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

To be done for all other language forums as well, I suppose?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Indeed. I've PMed the NL_admin group with this message:
Hi All,

For the record, we have decided to allow the file extensions that can be uploaded in the English board. This restriction was more counter-productive than protecting against supposed threats.

For further information, see: viewtopic.php?f=102&t=66950

Don't hesitate to allow more extensions on your own boards if you feel that the restriction could lead to bad user experience regarding the forum.

Kind regards,
Hagar
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Hagar Delest wrote:I've allowed all extensions except: ...
Lovely! Thanks, Hagar.

And, of course, if some unforeseen problem turns up, we can undo the change.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

+1
Changed in Hungarian forum.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Thank you.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Jan_J

Post by Jan_J »

Thanks, seems OK
JJ ∙ https://forum.openoffice.org/pl/
LO (7.6) ∙ Python (3.11|3.10) ∙ Unicode 15 ∙ LᴬTEX 2ε ∙ XML ∙ Unix tools ∙ Linux (Rocky|CentOS)