Corrupt File need help

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Stuperfied

Corrupt File need help

Post by Stuperfied »

Spent 2 days editing a file and being very careful to save as I go. Didnt bother to create a backup myself as I know openoffice auto backups. During an auto save our air conditioner kicked in and caused a drop in power. My program stopped responding so I left it overnight. Came back in the morning and all I had was my wallpaper and mouse. Restarted the computer and tried to open my file. Was presented with a notice box telling me my file was locked by unknown user. Followed instructions to remove lock by deleting *.lock**** or whatever its called. Tried to open my file and got a text import dialogue which when i click ok, gets me a blank sheet. Tried looking in backup which lists *.ods_0.ods and *.ods_1.ods, first is 2k other is same as original file 2889kb, first one obviously goes nowhere, second one is same as original document.

Tried following http://free-data-recovery.blogspot.com/ ... ffice.html but cant find the zip.exe mentioned. All I could find was a latest version (some wiz.exe program) and binaries. Wiz.exe said my .ods was not a valid archive so i created a new .ods to see if Wiz.exe would open it and it did.

So, this is where im up to now. Any ideas on fixing my obviously corrupted zip file?
OpenOffice.org 3.11
Win 7 - 64bit
acknak

Re: Corrupt File need help

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum. Sorry you're having trouble with your file.

The simplest way to proceed is if you can upload the damaged file to a file sharing site somewhere and give us a link to it. For tips on posting large or confidential documents, see: [Forum] How to attach a document here
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Stuperfied

Post by Stuperfied »

Thank you very much for your fast response. Im currently looking for a site as you suggested.
OpenOffice.org 3.11
Win 7 - 64bit
Stuperfied

Post by Stuperfied »

Not sure if this will work but i removed the extension .ods so it wouldnt try to open it.

Here is the link. https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2 ... nt=file%2c

Hope this works.
OpenOffice.org 3.11
Win 7 - 64bit
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ouch. Sorry to say, the file contains nothing but zeroes. There's no recoverable data there.

You should also check in the OO temporary files area--sometimes there is a copy of the working document left there.

Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly where to look for it. You can check in the OO settings under Tools > Options > OO > Paths > Temp files, then look in that folder to see if there are any files there.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Stuperfied

Post by Stuperfied »

Thats a real shame, especially concidering what the file was. Tried the temp folder, not there. Thank you for your help anyway, if you think of anything else let me know.
OpenOffice.org 3.11
Win 7 - 64bit
thinman3
Volunteer

Post by thinman3 »

Invest in a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)...best money ever spent. Our area is prone to quick drop-outs and the UPS keeps my system running without a blip.
3.4.1 & 4.1.5 on MS Windows 7 Pro x64