Other languages forums

Let us know how we are doing -
Hagar Delest

Other languages forums

Post by Hagar Delest »

As the address is http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum, what do you think about creating FR and DE pages that are redirected to the French and German forums, rather wealthy ?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Other languages forums

Post by DrewJensen »

Do you mean as in
user.services.openoffice.org/fr/forum
and have that redirect to
http://www.forum-openoffice.org/forum/

That is not a bad idea actually.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

DrewJensen wrote:That is not a bad idea actually.
Well, we are so happy to collaborate with your team.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Excellent...I had planned on carrying your RSS feed and still would like to do that when we get the portal front page setup...

One of the ideas was to use some custom settings in the user account for language - so a user could select to see feeds in multiple languages from the main page.
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

We wait your feedback. Thanks for your support.

Our forum is still with PhpBB 2 but we have modify its design to have a similar look. ;)
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

The other idea I have been toying with is a Custom Search Engine, some initial thoughts on this are found at
OpenOffice.org CSE

In this scenario the important thing is that the sites are being crawled by Google, I would suspect that is the case.

Anyway - I have selected a candidate forum portal mod to start testing and a feed aggregation mod - I hope to get these setup at our test site over the next week. When I get that done I'll go ahead and shot you an invitation with a user account to get your input..
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

Hello Drew,

I have some news from Sophie Gautier. She tells me that French community want to create an official forum.

Do you have any information about that?
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

I will be honest with you, my instinct to get out of this conversation as quickly as I can..Let me tell you why.

When the folks that got together to create this forum began work and then the offer came from SUN Microsystems to host the site came, many of us looked at ways to help payback the community at large for this gift. One of the ideas was that we could act as a resource for Native Language groups that want to have a forum in their language, but de not have the resources readily available in their group's membership. In these cases we could setup a forum on this server and offer to maintain the infrastructure, while they would need to supply a couple of individuals to act as moderators and the like.

To be honest the last two language groups that I would have expected any interest from are French and German - each with at least 2 sites already up, running and active.

Well, I really think that is all I should say about that. To say anything more is most likely a case of sticking my nose where it does not belong.
lgodard

Post by lgodard »

Hi drew

Just to let you know that we are activally working with Bidouille for the French forum
there are some points to address such as how are different languages addressed (is a search separated over languages aso), how to migrate the existing posts, what to do with mods etc ...

We will come back asap to inform you and query your opinion

I'm happy that this joining occurs

Laurent
Mark Nelson

Post by Mark Nelson »

Could someone please load American English for those of us in the USA? And no I did not vote for shrub.
Windows 10
OpenOffice.org 4.1.1 LibreOffice 5.01
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Hi Mark,

Well - I will be happy to do that - at the same time that I roll out a few of the other language packs.

At the moment the forum is running on phpBB 3.0 RC7 - with my local test instance updated to RC8 - however, the phpBB team has just announced that the final stable release of phpBB 3.0 is scheduled for the 13th of this month ~ 2 days hence. This will require another update and I plan now to wait until that final package is released before I make any changes to this installation.

At that time I plan on including:
British English ( Default )
US English ( user selectable )

Other language packs may be included at that time also - French, German, Danish, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese ( simplified and traditional ) , and Japanese being the most likely.

Until then you and I are stuck having to deal with the Queen's English.

So till then Chreerio old chap...

Drew
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

:D I wasn't even aware that this is the UK English forum. :lol: :lol: Are you going to run a script that will copy UK English posts to the US forum (of course translating them on the fly) and vice versa to prevent double work for posters? :mrgreen:
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Well - the software has been updated - but at the time of the release the EN-US language pack has still not been 'validated'...now just what could be holding that up is anyones guess.