After Two+ Years

Talk about anything at all....
Bnayqyama

After Two+ Years

Post by Bnayqyama »

About two years ago I fully switched from MS to OO, after more years of dabbling with the early versions of OO. I have OO 2.3 on my laptop and also use portable versions of OO on a USB flash drive. I have been able to do most of what I did with Word, which included extensive use of styles and templates, applied via keyboard shortcuts.

I am grateful for OO. But I wonder about how much time I waste each day because of its slowness in loading in the MS OS (it is faster in Linux) and -- especially -- its daily crashes.

OO has always crashed for me when I leave text and spreadsheet files open for many hours. When I have kept files open, but have not used them for an hour or more, OO freezes.

I have tried a work around: closing out documents the moment I quit revising, but not quiting the OO application itself. This too is a waste of time.

I want to make OO work for me because I love the idea of OpenSource and eventually want to fully purge from MS. But I am thinking that OO may not be practical for how I actually work, and perhaps I should just submit and go back to MS Off.
Last edited by Bnayqyama on Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: After Two+ Years

Post by DrewJensen »

You might want to consider using the version of OO.o available form http://go-oo.org it does seem to run faster under Windows then the vanilla OO.o builds, although they are catching up.

As for crashes. I don't know what to say - from what I gather Write files of length with a lot of graphics can be a problem but here again each release seems to be more stable ( with a few notable exceptions ) - 2.3.1 was more stable then 2.3.0 - the version at the go-ooo site is now 2.4.

The version 3.0 code seems to be a step faster yet - so perhaps you should just hold out for that, or even install it along side your current version for a test. ( it is only available as a beta download from the main www.openoffice.org site, not available from the go-oo site )

Having it freeze after being left idle for long periods - I have had that happen a few times - but that has seemed to go away with the latest releases, at least for me. I have to admit though that I do not work with large Write files often, so will look for what others that do have to say.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

How big are your documents? I've never yet had a crash or a feeze - that might be tempting fate of course - and the longest document I have worked with is (I just checked) 474 A4 pages.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Bnayqyama

Post by Bnayqyama »

It does not seem to matter what size: a document that I have just begun, containing little text, will freeze if I leave it open for hours.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Strange. As for the speed, i find the first time it loads in a day is slow, but subsequent opens are reasonably fast. Of course, the Portable version is very slow. Have you thought about moving to 2.4?
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Bnayqyama

Post by Bnayqyama »

Since the first suggestion I have installed Go-OO 2.4, but, although it might have opened a few seconds faster, there was no change: it froze with a two page, two column document that I left unattended for a few hours. (I also noticed that, since I did not delete the portable 2.3 from c:/program files, the laptop navigation keys and backspace key did not work. I have seen this before.)

I then decided to try the OO 3 Beta, after deleting/uninstalling the other versions. The program booted significantly faster and, when I left the same the two page document left open all night, it has yet to crash.

If I have more problems, I will try OO 2.4 (portable) before I submit to the evil empire.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

TheGurkha wrote:Strange. As for the speed, i find the first time it loads in a day is slow, but subsequent opens are reasonably fast. Of course, the Portable version is very slow. Have you thought about moving to 2.4?
That's called a warm start. This effect is quantified in the article "Is OpenOffice.org Getting Faster?"
The version 3.0 code seems to be a step faster yet
This is also quantified in the above article.
I am grateful for OO. But I wonder about how much time I waste each day because of its slowness in loading in the MS OS (it is faster in Linux) and -- especially -- its daily crashes.
That is abnormal. I do weird things to OpenOffice.org and volunteer on the QA project, yet OpenOffice.org rarely crashes. Try Troubleshooting: OpenOffice.org Crashes.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Do you have any application that could mess the temporary files? In Tools>Options>OOo>Paths, try to create a new dedicated folder for the temporary files in a safe place (like under your My documents directory) and see if that improves the situation.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10