[Solved] Dependency Error

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
White Phoenix

[Solved] Dependency Error

Post by White Phoenix »

I have't updated my profile yet to reflect this but I have switched to Linux Mint recently. Has anyone solved the "dependency not satisfied" issue yet? If so, I don't want to start another thread. I found an older thread for my distro, but it didn't go anywhere and it was confusing the way it was split from a former thread.I am installing Linux for the first time.

OTOH, I have more details.

Kernel : Linux 3.2.0-23-generic (x86_64)
Compiled : #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012
C Library : Unknown
Default C Compiler : GNU C Compiler version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)
Distribution : Linux Mint 13 Maya

I am trying to install Apache OpenOffice 4.01. There are over 40 DEB files, but I can't seem to install any but one or two. I keep getting the following message:

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: <file name>

The name of the file differs depending which file triggers the error. I have installed GDebi Package Installer. I still cannot get the files to install. Is there an order they need to be installed in? Is it possible to get them to install all at one time?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
Hagar Delest

Re: Dependency Error

Post by Hagar Delest »

To install AOO, follow: [Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux or [Ubuntu] Installing OpenOffice on Debian and Co.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

Finally it is installed, but I have no desktop icon to launch it from. I can't figure out how to do this. I cannot tell which is the main program to send a shortcut to the desktop from.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you have fully installed using the instructions from Hagar, then OpenOffice links should show up in the Office grouping. If they do not, you may have missed one stage in the install where in the unpacked OO files you are in the DEBS directory, then you

Code: Select all

cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
To make a desktop icon/launcher right click on the desktop and select the "Create a Launcher" link.
The command line for a desktop launcher on my computer is

openoffice4 $U
I'm using Xubuntu, but Mint should be similar.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

RoryOF wrote:If you have fully installed using the instructions from Hagar, then OpenOffice links should show up in the Office grouping. If they do not, you may have missed one stage in the install where in the unpacked OO files you are in the DEBS directory, then you

cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
I missed nothing. I followed the instructions exactly. However, while I was sleeping I realized what was discussed about AOO not showing up in the "Menu". The only thing is I have no idea what is meant by "run OO in a shell".
To make a desktop icon/launcher right click on the desktop and select the "Create a Launcher" link.
The command line for a desktop launcher is

openoffice4 $U
The link was created properly, but the icon is wrong and it cannot find AOO. I think I need to run AOO in the shell first.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Start a terminal (probably on the Accessories menu) and type openoffice4
Note any error messages.
Another useful command in a terminal is "whereis openoffice4" (no quotes). If this replies with "openoffice4:" then it is not installed.

Does OpenOffice show up on the Office menu? If so, does it work from there? You should then be able to find a Main Menu item in System Settings (or somewhere - remember I'm on Xubuntu); use that to inspect "Properties" for the OpenOffice items on the Office menu; note these and copy to your Launcher command line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Note that to change a Launcher icon you can click on the icon in the launcher properties then drill down through the directories of offered icons until you find an icon that suits your requirements.

After an install of a major program such as OpenOffice, if there are difficulties, a computer reboot may help.
 Edit: Also, are you installing a 32 bit OO on a 64 bit Mint or contrairiwise? 32 bit OO may run on 64 bit Mint (I don't know) but let's keep the bitcounts matched. If this isn't solved I'll install a Linux Mint 17 on a spare machine and try an OO install, but for Real Life reasons that wouldn't be until tomorrow. 
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

How about explaing how to run OpenOffice in a shell like was stated in the Tutorial thread?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The terminal and the shell are effectively the same thing.
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

But no one should assume that everyone knows that. Just use one term or the other to avoid confusion.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm not confused. I assume a minimal capability on the part of a User to ask a relevant question of a search engine; perhaps this is over-expectation. None of us sprang from the womb knowing how to drive a computer - we all had to learn in one way or another.
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

Now your confused. I wasn't implying you were before. I stated using different terms for the same thing could lead to confusion. One should not have to look a term up on a search engine when the problem can be so simply avoided.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I did not write the tutorial(s) involved, which probably use standard linux terminology.

Have you tried any of the steps I suggested in my posts of 2013 12 22?

Which desktop version of linux Mint have you installed? I see Gnome, Gnome+Mate, KDE and LXDE listed.