[Solved] Issues with unreadable menus (dropdowns)

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
GEEMac

[Solved] Issues with unreadable menus (dropdowns)

Post by GEEMac »

Hello,

I have been using Openoffice on various OSs From Win to Linux without issues for years. Thank you for an excellent office productivity package. This is the first time I have ever had any issues.

I am using OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Ubuntu 13.10 and installed as follows...
I downloaded 4.0.1 for Linux 64 bit English-US and un-archived the tar.gz to my Home folder.
While in the terminal; cd en-US/DEBS, sudo dpkg -i *.deb, cd desktop-integration, sudo dpkg -i *.deb.
All went well with the install and placed the icons in the Office directory as it should have.
Now here is where the issues start. I opened Writer and when I dropped dow the menues the text was corrupted with odd characters. I have three screenshots at 1920x1080 and too big to post for the detail. I will post one image and the link to the full images for clarity.
I am sure that it is not an issue with Openoffice but an issue with Ubuntu 13.10 and how it is using Java or Linux's version of Java. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://i40.tinypic.com/23ldyy1.png
http://i40.tinypic.com/23ldyy1.png
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
System Info/Processor:AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2 /Memory:4GiB/Graphics:GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a/integrated/SSE2/OS Type:Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit/Openoffice v.4.0.1
Hagar Delest

Re: Issues with unreadable menus (dropdowns)

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

See if that helps: [Solved] Language is Greek in menus.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
GEEMac

Post by GEEMac »

Thank you for the reply,

A improper language issue is not my problem here with Openoffice. What I neglected to mention is that the menus look fine and are in English until I hover over them with my mouse pointer then the words disappear or change to odd characters. Not only is the text changing, but the screen flashes black with each move of the mouse pointer to the point of locking the system up.
I have not had these issues until Ubuntu 13.10. Apparently Openoffice 4 and Ubuntu 13.10 do not play well with each other.
System Info/Processor:AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2 /Memory:4GiB/Graphics:GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a/integrated/SSE2/OS Type:Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit/Openoffice v.4.0.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice 4 and Ubuntu 13.04, Xubuntu 13.04 and Xubuntu 13.10 all behave well for me. What desktop theme have you in use?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The problem is not with the language but may be with the font. Have you tried to change it?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
GEEMac

Post by GEEMac »

I tried the standard Unity and now using Cairo-Dock and I customized a Mac desktop type theme for it. It almost looks as if Compiz may be the culprit here. As for the font, I can't change it since the menu is a mess. As I mentioned the text is fine until I hover over it to select something then the text all goes bad along with the video going black, comes back then black again each time I move over a menu item.
It almost looks as a bad video card back in the day when the video memory goes bad. In my case all is well with other programs.
Last edited by GEEMac on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : View and turn off Use Hardware Acceleration and/or Use Anti-aliasing. You may need to completely restart OpenOffice after each such change to get it to take (including any Quickstarter).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
GEEMac

Post by GEEMac »

{ SOLVED }

Thank you both for the help with this issue.

The first thing I looked for when this issue started was Hardware Acceleration and I turned that off. With or without Anti-aliasing it did not make a difference. There was something I missed though, it was "Screen Font antialiasing" which was the culprit. I turned that off and so far things seem to be stable now with the menus.
For now I can say, case closed on this issue. Thank you again.
G
Zivatar

Re: [Solved] Issues with unreadable menus (dropdowns)

Post by Zivatar »

Hello All!

I have a problem with my AOO4.0.1 :)
The problem is : all the drop-down lists, and text fields behave as it can be seen on the picture below. Hardware accel is off, and switching antialiasing on/off does not take effect on it. Can somebody help me to solve this annoying problem?
AOO401_display_problem.png
Everything is welcome
Best Regards
Zivatar
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 on OpenSUSE 12.3