[Solved] OpenOffice 4.0.1 difficulty with Kubuntu 13.04

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
elder77

[Solved] OpenOffice 4.0.1 difficulty with Kubuntu 13.04

Post by elder77 »

I downloaded the tar.gz file and installed it and everything was fine. It landed in my /opt directory.
Then I went about installing the desktop-integration deb and the following is the result. If anyone can throw any light on my problem I would apprecciate it very much. I still don't have Open Office on my menus and therefore can't start it. Thank you. :)

william77@william77:~$ sudo dpkg -i ~/openoffice/ast/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0-9714_all.deb
[sudo] password for william77:
(Reading database ... 154782 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking openoffice-debian-menus (from .../openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0-9714_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /home/william77/openoffice/ast/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0-9714_all.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/soffice', which is also in package libreoffice-common 1:4.0.2-0ubuntu1
/usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for gnome-icon-theme ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/william77/openoffice/ast/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0-9714_all.deb
william77@william77:~$
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Apache_OpenOffice_4.0.1_Linux_x86_install-deb_ast.tar.gz
Kubuntu 13.04
RoryOF

Re: Open Office 4.0.1 difficulty with Kubuntu 13.04

Post by RoryOF »

My normal method of installing Openoffice on Ubuntu is to remove libreoffice-core using Synaptic or

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove libreoffice-core
before installing OpenOffice. OpenOffice then installs correctly using the Forum tutorial.

I understand that this removal may interfere with ability to run LibreOffice in parallel, but as I don't wish to do that it doesn't matter to me.
 Edit: I think muon may be used in Kubuntu in place of Synaptic. Adjust codeline etc as necessary. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
elder77

Re: OpenOffice 4.0.1 difficulty with Kubuntu 13.04

Post by elder77 »

Thank you, I have now removed Libre Office. Now could I get a command to remove the Apache Open Office I have already installed and can get a fresh start. I tried re-installing "desktop-integration" with the Open Office that I had installed so far and got the same result as above. So now I want to clean house of Open Office and start fresh. :)
Kubuntu 13.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may find these two commands useful

sudo apt-get purge libreoffice
sudo apt-get purge openoffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm having broadband connection problems, so that previous message was sent too soon. You may need to amend it to

sudo apt-get libreoffice*
sudo apt-get openoffice*
Or openoffice4.
elder77

Post by elder77 »

Well I have to say that OpenOffice has me totally flummoxed!!
As suggested I did the purge on both Libreoffice and Openoffice. Libreoffice writer is still there and I can't seem to get rid of it. Openoffice deleted a number of items but the /opt directory still had a pile of material in it. So in exasperation I simply deleted everything in the /opt directory as Openoffice was the only resident in that directory.
So then I did a brand new install from the original tar.gz file. I unpacked it with Ark and this time it did not unpack into the /opt directory but into the directory that held the tar.gz file. So then I installed the "desktop-integration and got the following:

~/openoffice/ast/DEBS/desktop-integration$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
(Reading database ... 154294 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking openoffice-debian-menus (from openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0-9714_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0-9714_all.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/soffice', which is also in package libreoffice-common 1:4.0.2-0ubuntu1
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for gnome-icon-theme ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0-9714_all.deb
william77@william77:~/openoffice/ast/DEBS/desktop-integration$

Which of course put nothing on the menu system. I've used Openoffice for years and want to use it again. On Windoze it was one file and one click did the trick I have been hacking away at this for hours. :( Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you, elder77.
Kubuntu 13.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've just run a live CD of Kubuntu 11.10 (I haven't a later). When I ran it in "Try Kubuntu" mode I was able to

sudo apt-get remove libreoffice-core
and then install OpenOffice from an unpacked file existing on the hard disk using the sudo dpkg syntax.

There were no objections from the system apart from the few missing MIME types you record, which have never caused me any problem.
After the desktop-integration step the OpenOffice components showed up in Kubuntu's Office section and ran correctly.

I can only conclude (my previous experience confirms this) that LibreOffice did not remove correctly from your system before the installation of OpenOffice.
My Kubuntu print was downloaded from http://www.kubuntu.org.

I have a memory of another user on this Forum (within past six weeks or so) reporting problems with a persistent LibreOffice, but cannot remember how/if he cured the problem.
 Edit: As a aside, having tried Kubuntu briefly in the above test, I am now confirmed in my liking for Xubuntu! Of course, others may make a different choice and are so entitled. 
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try perhaps a sudo apt-get remove libreoffice-common*
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also, try sudo apt-get remove openoffice4 to remove openoffice.

After the LibreOffice removal, run the same command again to verify that it is gone. Do not restart before installing OpenOffice (just in case!).
elder77

Post by elder77 »

RoryOF wrote:Postby Hagar Delest » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:29 am
Try perhaps a sudo apt-get remove libreoffice-common*

Postby RoryOF » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:57 pm
Also, try sudo apt-get remove openoffice4 to remove openoffice.
Thank you both, the above from Hagar cleaned a lot of Libreoffice that was still there.
Then I uses yours RoryOF on the Openoffice that I had installed.
Then I opened the Openoffice .tar.gz file and installed it in /opt.
Then sudo dpkg -i *.deb, followed by the same in the menu file and Bob's your uncle, Openoffice showed up in my Kubuntu menu system under "Office."
I thought I was done and finally succeeded. All the menu items were in English, but when any of the files opened, they were in French.
It maybe possible for me to figure out what they are asking on the opening screen but there has to be a solution somewhere.
Any help would once again, be appreciated. :) elder77
Kubuntu 13.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The version of OpenOffice you were installing was Asturian (wherever Asturia is!) (indicated by the ast section of the filename). Download and install the English (en-US or en-GB are the usual) language pack and install it. This small download (about 15MB) will convert the existing OpenOffice to the chosen language.
elder77

Post by elder77 »

RoryOF wrote:The version of OpenOffice you were installing was Asturian (wherever Asturia is!) (indicated by the ast section of the filename). Download and install the English (en-US or en-GB are the usual) language pack and install it. This small download (about 15MB) will convert the existing OpenOffice to the chosen language.
I have downloaded the language pack .tar.gz. I've wandered around in Google but did not see anything that gave a clue how to install this language pack. Most of it was dated anyway. The pack I have downloaded is the same as the version of Openoffice. Where do I unpack it to? Thank you again. elder77 :)
Kubuntu 13.04
elder77

Post by elder77 »

elder77 wrote:
RoryOF wrote:I have downloaded the language pack .tar.gz. I've wandered around in Google but did not see anything that gave a clue how to install this language pack. Most of it was dated anyway. The pack I have downloaded is the same as the version of Openoffice. Where do I unpack it to? Thank you again. elder77 :)
Thank you for all your help. I installed the language pack and now I have Openoffice in English. elder77 :D
Kubuntu 13.04