Pound sign problem has light at the end of the tunnel?

Discuss the word processor
Limbo

Pound sign problem has light at the end of the tunnel?

Post by Limbo »

Hi,

Been writing a novel. Saved said novel. Had to exit momentarily. Went to click back in. The dreaded ascii bar popped up. I've never had this problem on this computer before, only on my little linux laptop. In linux, I'd just use photorec and hopefully get my file back, if the backups didn't have a close enough rendition. Well, I tried photo rec on this one. It doesn't even come up with files close to the backups I'd made. Which are still a 79kb to 88kb difference. But my original document still has 88Kb sitting on mah dash there. Even though it's composed solely of hash symbols, and isn't very many pages long any more. Just wondering if perhaps y'all could check and see if anything's ticked? Could this be recoverable? Could my ordeal with the ascii bar be over? All my linux ones set themselves to 0kb. Cheers.
Libre Office 3.4.4 Linux Ubuntu
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Pound sign problem has light at the end of the tunnel?

Post by thomasjk »

If its all Hash tags the file is totally corrupt with no chance of recovery. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17677
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Limbo

Post by Limbo »

Ooh, a reply. Thank you! It is all hash signs. Goddamnit. Ah well. I'd just have to write those couple of chapters more awesome this time. Thank you very much for the support.
Libre Office 3.4.4 Linux Ubuntu
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Do you confirm you use LbreOffice 3.4.1? There seems to be less reports of this problem with AOO 4.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Running Ubuntu, you do have a backup program which can be set up within a minute either by subscribing to the UbuntuOne cloud or by defining your own backup drive. Then you can right-click on any of your files and restore yesterdays version.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice