Unprotect document

Discuss the spreadsheet application
carocurl

Unprotect document

Post by carocurl »

I am trying to use a file from excel and I need to unprotect it. I know I can go to TOOLS PROTECT and click on sheet to remove the checkmark but I have 29 pages in each file and 13 files. The document does not have a check beside it.
Is there a shortcut so I can unprotect the entire document with out having to do it sheet by sheet?
It is frustrating to say the least.
open office.org 3.1 on vista
mriosv
Volunteer

Re: Unprotect document

Post by mriosv »

Only three keystrokes. (Alt-T P S)
Try to record a single macro and assign to a key.
LibreOffice 3.5.4 AOo-3.4 on Win 7 Ultimate
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Tools>Macros>Organize>Basic...
Macro from: OpenOffice.org Macros>Tools>Misc, Macros: ProtectSheets and UnprotectSheets
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Wordrider

Post by Wordrider »

In OpenOffice 3 this worked fine. Now when I try to unprotect the document or sheet, I get a pop-up window asking for "Password (Optional)." Then, when I click on OK, I get a message "Incorrect Password."
I updated to 4.0.1 and still had the same problem. I can't open an emailed Excel sheet in OO and edit it. When I go to another machine that has Office and open it, I get a yellow bar with a button asking me if I want to allow editing the document. Then it works fine. How can I do that in OpenOffice?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Wordrider wrote:In OpenOffice 3 this worked fine. Now when I try to unprotect the document or sheet, I get a pop-up window asking for "Password (Optional)." Then, when I click on OK, I get a message "Incorrect Password."
I updated to 4.0.1 and still had the same problem. I can't open an emailed Excel sheet in OO and edit it. When I go to another machine that has Office and open it, I get a yellow bar with a button asking me if I want to allow editing the document. Then it works fine. How can I do that in OpenOffice?
This has nothing to do with OpenOffice. Your email program created the read-only copy, and almost certainly you never want to edit the mail attachment that has been sent to you.
Simply create your own copy of that document (File>Save As...)
ALWAYS save in the native ODF format and edit that one.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65383#p290413
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Wordrider

Post by Wordrider »

This has nothing to do with OpenOffice. Your email program created the read-only copy, and almost certainly you never want to edit the mail attachment that has been sent to you.
v ... 83#p290413
Thank you. But it always worked before. Why is it now asking for a non-existent password?

The "email program" is teacher's email from my wife's school and she has to enter marks and return the Excel document. "Saving as" ODF and editing and then re-saving as Excel is an annoying workaround. Isn't there just a simple way to unprotect the document like I used to?
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Wordrider wrote:
v ... 83#p290413
Thank you. But it always worked before. Why is it now asking for a non-existent password?

The "email program" is teacher's email from my wife's school and she has to enter marks and return the Excel document. "Saving as" ODF and editing and then re-saving as Excel is an annoying workaround. Isn't there just a simple way to unprotect the document like I used to?
An email is not an email program. It is a file or a part of a file. All files from internet are read-only before you create your own copy to work with.
How can anybody know anything about some password that may be in some document that has been sent to you? Ask your teacher if he protected the document either by mistake or by intention.
Wordrider

Post by Wordrider »

An email is not an email program. It is a file or a part of a file. All files from internet are read-only before you create your own copy to work with.
How can anybody know anything about some password that may be in some document that has been sent to you? Ask your teacher if he protected the document either by mistake or by intention.
Thanks again.
I know there is no password because I opened the same file on another computer with Excel. I just had to click on a button to "Allow editing."
I always had this with the Excel files from the school. And all I had to do in previous versions of OpenOffice was Tools/Protect/ and unclick sheet and document. Now it won't let me do that. It keeps asking for a non-existent password.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows XP