My address database converted to odb, but not recognized

Discuss the database features
Tiggletta

My address database converted to odb, but not recognized

Post by Tiggletta »

I just got my new HP a little over a month ago and have been trying to transfer all my files into the new computer. Because the newer computers no longer come loaded with Microsoft Office products, someone suggested that I use Open Office because it wasn't going to cost me $100 for a program that Microsoft is going to want me to re-buy each year.

I started transferring files by transferring the most important file of all: my complete address book for my family and friends. But even though everything was working properly when I got the file transferred in dbase format and it got converted to odb, the file won't open when I'm trying to see If the address for one of my friends made it in there before I start making Christmas card labels this year....

Once all my files are transferred out of the old comp, it's going to be wiped by my son to be used as a game computer for his children - but how can I let him take the computer and wipe all my information out of it when your program doesn't recognize it's own file extensions, and therefore isn't going to open any of the files I've transferred over to the new computer????
Open Office 4.0 installed on HP computer using Windows 8
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: My address database converted to odb, but not recognized

Post by Villeroy »

You never have to convert anything. Connect a Base document to your original address book (you don't mention what it is) and you are done.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
DACM
Volunteer

Re: My address database converted to odb, but not recognized

Post by DACM »

Tiggletta wrote:...and it got converted to odb, the file won't open...
Make sure you backup your personal files before wiping the computer. I would simply install a cloud-based folder like Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive, Wuala or SpiderOak. It appears that Wuala and SpiderOak employ client-side encryption. This is critical. Otherwise, before adding (dragging-&-dropping) any files to a cloud-sync'd folder, add client-side encryption using Boxcryptor. This additional layer protects your files from "falling into the wrong hands" perhaps particularly when using the "local account" option. In any case, the nice folks at Dropbox, etc. won't be able to decrypt your files even in response to a court order. Cloud-sync'd folders also employ file-version history features that come in handy when you run into file corruption or accidentally delete or overwrite a good file.

Having said that, you may have encountered file-corruption upon converting your dBase version to the .odb version. For a simple, flat-file database like an address book, there's no reason to go beyond the dBase version. As Villeroy mentions, you can connect Base directly to an address book (file-format) -- but that connection will be read-only. The dBase format is read/write. If you decide to move into a relational database with Base for any reason, perhaps take a look at my signature links below for some additional advice and solutions.
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria