[Solved] Synonyms: English thesaurus not working

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
Open-Chris

[Solved] Synonyms: English thesaurus not working

Post by Open-Chris »

Hi, I just installed O.O. 4.0.1. and just can't get my synonyms working in English. They work in German (Deutsch), but not English. My default language is English.
The Thesaurus is also not working in English. What a bummer!
Has anyone any idea how to get this resolved? I downloaded and installed the dictonaries/thesaurus' I thought I needed.
Thanks, Chris :cry:
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: Synonyms

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Some parts of the tutorial may help: [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Open-Chris

Post by Open-Chris »

Thanks for the help. I understand the program a bit better now.
BUT. It didn't fix my problem. I am translating from English to German and have both versions open on the same page. I can only get the German Synonyms working. The English Synonyms just don't show up as an option when I right click on an English word. When I (mouse) right-click on a German word, the German Synonyms for that word show up.
The spell check works for both languages. There is no problem here.
Any other suggestions?
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

In the Options panel, have you made sure that the English thesaurus was ticked?
Edit button of this dialog (then select the language in the drop-down list):
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Perhaps the trick of disabling the NZ-english, as in
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 3&p=288213
may give you back the synonyms, as the last post in that thread indicates.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zuliemon

Re: Fix for English Thesaurus

Post by Zuliemon »

I had been having a hell of time getting my English thesaurus to work after installing the latest 4.0.1. version of Openoffice. I uninstalled and re-installed the 4.0.1 version multiple times. I did this after making sure I totally removed the prior verson. I also attempted using the repair function (essentially a re-install) and then gave up with no luck. My previous version 3.4.1 had worked well including the thesaurus feature but had developed different problems with unretrievable documents constantly showing up at start up. In any event, I attempted reloading (new installation) the older 3.4.1. version only to find the same problem with the thesaurus. Consequently, I totally removed ver 3.4.1 and loaded 4.0.1 again. Everything else I ordinarily use on 4.0.1 was working great but once again the thesaurus would not work and was "greyed-out." Doing a little research in this forum, I finally came across this post about removing the English NZ (New Zealand) thesaurus plug in. You have to go into "tools" then click on the "extension manager" from the "tools" drop down menu to do this. You should then see all the English language plug ins (puzzle bits). If you right click on the English NZ and then delete this, for whatever mysterious reason, this allowed my theasurus to work again. After you delete the NZ Thesaurus plug in by right clicking on it and deleting it, you need to exit the Openoffice program and then re-open it. All I can say is THANK YOU to the guy who posted this fix. It worked for me. Hopefully it will continue to.
Open Office 4.0.1 Windows 7