Replacement of LOff by AOO4.0.1

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Breizhux

Replacement of LOff by AOO4.0.1

Post by Breizhux »

Hi everyone,
I wish to install Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 in replacement of LibreOffice 3.4.
I uninstalled LOff, and try to install AOO into the /etc directory, as was LOff, and not in /opt as the default setting.
The installation tutorial makes it clear:
By default, this will install Apache OpenOffice in your /opt directory. Alternatively, you can use a GUI package installer, reference the installation directory, and install all debs at the top level.
Which GUI Package Installer is so aimed at? Synaptic? If TRUE I guess I should create a local repository and add it to the list of repositories (/etc/apt/sources.list), but I'm afraid I do not know how to perform it.
Would anyone have an idea?
Thanks in advance, and have a nice WE
OpenOffice4.0.1 - Debian Wheezy 7.1
RoryOF

Re: Replacement of LOff by AOO4.0.1

Post by RoryOF »

Why not just go with the default install location and method, as set out in
[Tutorial] Installing OpenOffice on Ubuntu, Debian and Co.

Note that I would always remove libreoffice-core using Synaptic before installing OpenOffice; this may not now be strictly necessary, but I do it as a matter of course on any *Ubuntu installation.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Breizhux

Post by Breizhux »

RoryOF wrote:Why not just go with the default install location and method, as set out in
[Tutorial] Installing OpenOffice on Ubuntu, Debian and Co.

Note that I would always remove libreoffice-core using Synaptic before installing OpenOffice; this may not now be strictly necessary, but I do it as a matter of course on any *Ubuntu installation.
Hi,

I removed LibreOffice from the command line prior to any installation of AOO.
LOff was installed in /etc/libreoffice, and the same way, I intend to install AOO into an /etc/openoffice directory
Some time ago, I posted a question about some other topic in Ubuntu forum. The answer was that only poor Linux users install anything into /opt, but unfortunately, did not tell how to install into /etc.
I know quite well the tutorial. This is where I found the directions for installing with Debian Wheezy. They indicate alternative ways:
1. Default installation into /opt
2. Mastered installation using a GUI Package Installer. This is the answer I am looking for.

Thank you in advance for further suggestions.
OpenOffice4.0.1 - Debian Wheezy 7.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There is an unofficial AOO repository for Debian installs at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/apacheoo-deb/files/
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Breizhux wrote:Some time ago, I posted a question about some other topic in Ubuntu forum. The answer was that only poor Linux users install anything into /opt
Being a poor Linux user, at least when I upgrade to a new flavor of Ubuntu (or even if I want to try something else - debian based), I don't have to reinstall the applications I've put in that place. I've a partition for /opt so that it's not erased. But I agree I don't have time to lose in reinstalling applications every 6 months...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10