Graphs/Charts are NOT updating

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Cross7VetClinic

Graphs/Charts are NOT updating

Post by Cross7VetClinic »

Having problems with OpenOffice Calc spread sheets. I have several charts/graphs that I us to track daily, weekly and monthly statistics. My graphs are not updating when I update the data. I have the data on sheet 1 in the document and the charts are on the sheet 2 or 3 so that I can print them up and post them for my employee's. Why are my charts not updating as I enter new data?
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows 7
acknak

Re: Graphs/Charts are NOT updating

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Did you by any chance use cut/paste to move the charts to the other sheets?

If so, there's a known problem in that cut/paste disconnects the chart from the sheet data. You just get a static copy of the chart.

The only workaround I know of is to move the charts by drag/drop.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Cross7VetClinic

Post by Cross7VetClinic »

Thanks for getting back with me. I may be sounding stupid here...but how do you drag/drop from one sheet to another?
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Drag it onto the sheet tab to activate that sheet and then drop somewhere.

In order to expand all references in a spreasdheet (formula references, chart ranges, named ranges etc.) you should turn on Tools>OPtions>Calc>General: "Expand references..." and insert new cells within the referenced range or directly below.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
pmcdoug

Post by pmcdoug »

I had the same problem (OO 4.1.5/Windows 10). I had created a graph in one sheet of a calc file using data from a different sheet and the chart did not update as the data updated. Was not able to "drag and drop" the chart as is appears was described in one reply here, so I resorted to duplicating the data from the sheet (say "Sheet A") by simply referring to the root data with a simple " = " formulas in "Sheet B" in which I wanted the chart to be displayed, then recreated the desired chart in "Sheet B" using those cells in "Sheet B". Quick and effective. Then just remember, in future (for new/other spreadsheets), to create this linked data before creating the chart.
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Home