[Solved] Wrapping text around a picture

Discuss the drawing application
tampadjd

[Solved] Wrapping text around a picture

Post by tampadjd »

Am I missing something? I can't get this to work in Draw. I've done it millions of times in Writer but I don't seem to have the regular graphic properties like I do in Writer. There has to be a way to make this work, right? I'm using a .jpg and I've tried other formats as well for my picture but the text always stays on top or goes beneath the picture.
Last edited by tampadjd on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7
tampadjd

Re: Wrapping text around a picture

Post by tampadjd »

forgot to mention I'm running version 3.4.1 on Windows 7.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I don't think Draw has any capability to wrap text around an image (or any other object).

Maybe if you can explain a bit more about what you need to do, someone could suggest a different way to get what you want.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
tampadjd

Post by tampadjd »

I just figured it would, seeing as how it would be a great tool for creating newsletters. I was actually trying to show how it could be used instead of Publisher and I was able to do everything else except wrap the text around a picture for the Letter from the President article that has his picture on the left with the text starting to the right of it and then continuing on below the picture for the rest of the letter.
acknak

Post by acknak »

There is no real desktop publishing application in OO that would compare directly with MS Publisher.

OO Writer probably comes the closest, it can wrap text around an arbitrary shape, but it's still a word processor and works with a flowed-text layout that is rather awkward for complex page layouts. I've used it for newletters and it does ok once you get it all sorted out.

Draw gives you the free page layout but it's not very capable at formatting text. You can wrap text to an arbitrary shape, but it's not really print-quality layout.

For desktop publishing, you may want to look at some other software; Scribus is one: www.scribus.net
acknak

Post by acknak »

Here's an example of what you can do wrapping text in Draw. Since you can wrap the text to any arbitrary shape, clearly you can wrap text around an image. But you have to arrange it manually, and fit everything manually, and it's not so easy.
Attachments
text_wrap.odg
(14.26 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
tampadjd

Post by tampadjd »

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate knowing that I wasn't missing something obvious. Draw is still a great solution for what I need and I can work around the lack of wrapping. Thanks again!