Lost and confused

Not sure where to post? Post here!
night

Lost and confused

Post by night »

Ok.. so I had this brilliant idea to use an LCD photoframe for dinner recipes for my wife who is tired of doing all the deciding every night. Easy pics for the kids to know what things are and recipes right there for each. I want to create a template of some sort with a section for the pic, and 2 sections for the text. Something I can easily open up and drop things in to add recipes without recreating them each from scratch.

I have zero clue how to do this.

I've so far tried paint.NET which worked well with layers, etc, but the text will not wrap in a selection box. Making it an absolute pain in the a$$. Not to mention no templates/layouts to save. So here I am wondering if this will do what I need. My only, and I assume basic, needs are to be able to set it up in 800x480 resolution, save a template for easy repetition, and save as a jpg, bmp, etc.
O.o - OpenOffice 4 on 32bit 7
acknak

Re: lost and confused

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!
night wrote:... I want to create a template of some sort with a section for the pic, and 2 sections for the text. ...
OO has templates, but I'm not sure I understand what you need for the photo frame to display. Will it display anything other than picture files? How are you going to display the recipe text--what format does it need?

The reason I ask is that OO Writer is probably the best tool for formatting text but there's no (easy) way to have it output an image. If the frame only supports image files, then it's probably better to work with something other than Writer.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
night

Post by night »

Maybe not templates really, but it would be nice to have them preformed for doing over and over again.
What I've messed with in photo editing is a selection in the corner.. paste the picture. Another square selection next to it, use text tool, then copy/paste. And 2nd larger selection square below with text tool and pasting directions. The key ease of use thing is having the selections resizeable and it scale pics/adjust text with word wrap in the box

I only installed it on my work comp, so can't mess with it at the moment, but I did see it shows export as image files. Would the plain office part of this prog do it better than impress or draw?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Draw & Impress can export directly to image files. Writer and Calc can't do it directly but you could export to pdf and then convert that to an image format.

Writer would be best for formatting the text; Draw & Impress can handle text but with less flexibility.
night

Post by night »

How about the 800x480? Nothing I can do for that?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Yes.