New feature request: Deploy sidebars and panes in OOo

Talk about anything at all....
anjalip222

New feature request: Deploy sidebars and panes in OOo

Post by anjalip222 »

Hi, I've mentioned the below-mentioned feature in the Issue Tracker. However, I'm also enclosing it here so that the general folks can read it too. The issue no. is 89946. Here is what I wrote:

======================================

This concerns with adding a UI feature in OOo which would aid users in a more streamlined and more productive way to do things.

I use a 19" widescreen monitor, and when an OOo application like Writer or Calc is running, there are loads of empty vertical spaces on either side of the main working area, which I feel can be better utilized by OOo. The no. of widescreens are increasing every year, and maybe in one year time they will be pretty much standard equipment. So OOo should develop itself to make use of the extra spaces it offers.

In any case, notice the "Styles and Formatting" pane in Writer. It is a floating window and quite imposes itself over the main page, sometimes hiding stuff underneath it. It would be better if the above-said pane were to be locked on any one side of the working area, having an adjustable width.

Stretching the concept further, I suggest that there be provisions for sidebars on both the left and right hand side of the main working area. This would smartly add more functionality in a widescreen environment, while those who don't use widescreens can simply switch them off.

Imagine using Writer or Calc with two sidebars - one on the left and the other on the right. The left one could enable the user to select fonts on the fly, while the right sidebar would contain the styles window. Or any other functionality may be used - example, the colour chooser box can be deployed as a sidebar for quicker and easier selection of colours. Or instead the Navigator pane could be deployed too.

The user can micro-manage what to have in each sidebar.

Extending the concept further, one can imagine having more than one pane on each side - for example the left pane may be subdivided into 3 panes - one for colors, one for fonts, etc.. Each of these panes will be stacked vertically on top of each other. The user can set their positions, widths, etc. and then lock them so that OOo can remember their positions. In a widescreen environment there would be enough space in between for the working area.

======================================
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: New feature request: Deploy sidebars and panes in OOo

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

anjalip222 wrote:Hi, I've mentioned the below-mentioned feature in the Issue Tracker. However, I'm also enclosing it here so that the general folks can read it too. The issue no. is 89946.
That's fine but to increase the efficiency of this "marketing action", yuo should post the URL so that users can jump to it directly. Much less effort for beginners who don't know anything about the IT.

-> Issue 89946 - Deploy sidebars and panes in OOo to make use of wide-screens.
Use the BBCode URL for that. You should do that for your other threads.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed. I guess that the link in previous post did the trick!

NB: I moved the thread in the Setup and Troubleshouting forum, let me know if you prefer it in the General discussion as before (this is mostly a configuration discussion).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
anjalip222

Post by anjalip222 »

Point taken. However, I did intend to share my thoughts in the General Discussion thread only as it would give more exposure of the issue to the general public. In any case, it has been already submitted in the Issue Tracker.