Unable to start OOo on Tiger

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
andwhy

Unable to start OOo on Tiger

Post by andwhy »

I am running Tiger (10.4.11) on an ibook G4 and have X11 installed. I successfully installed OOo 2.3 by dragging it into the applications folder. But when I launch the application, after X11 has been automatically launched and after the dialog window appeared whether I want to use the Mac fonts, the OOo Icon appears for a few seconds only in the dock and then crashes. This happens regardless of whether I choose to use the mac fonts or not. For this problem I could not find a previous entry in the forum.

Please help me, If you can.

Thanks
KatharineHolmes

Re: Unable to start OOo on Tiger

Post by KatharineHolmes »

I am having the same problem... Posted my own topic, then found this. Anybody know what's up?

I'm running 10.4.11 on a MacBook with X11 installed.
UweAltmann
Volunteer

Post by UweAltmann »

Maybe your download is damaged?? Therefor we have md5 sums to check the integrity of the download. You find it described in the Mac HowTo.
Or just try:
Delete the OpenOffice.org program in your applications folder.
Delete any OpenOffice.org... folders in your ~/Library/Application Support folder
Download the OOo you need (Intel or PPC) again from http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/x11.html.
Install OOo again.
Report the results here.
Uwe

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
davidb

Post by davidb »

I had this problem one time when trying to start a new version of OOo the first time from a user account that did not have administration privileges to the the computer. I had installed it by typing an admin user name and password from within a non admin account - but the first time it runs it needs admin rights - it didn't have them so appeared to open then quit every time after X11 started. I had to delete the program, switch to an admin account, reinstall and start from the admin account. Then it worked OK for all accounts on the computer. I believe that it is important to start the program the first time from the same user account that it was installed under and that account must have administration rights to the computer.

David
OOo 3.30 on Mac OSx other + Windows XP
UweAltmann
Volunteer

Post by UweAltmann »

davidb wrote:... I believe that it is important to start the program the first time from the same user account that it was installed under and that account must have administration rights to the computer.
Weird - I never had to start OOo as admin user. Just the "install" (=drop it into the Applications folder) needs to give an Admin users name and password - after that a normal user can start OOo without admin rights.
Uwe

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.