[Solved] Opening CSV file in Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
houseofman

[Solved] Opening CSV file in Calc

Post by houseofman »

Hi there,
I followed the instructions for creating a new default template for Calc. If I open Calc I see my template changes.
However, if I double-click on a CSV file it opens the text import dialogue and then opens the file as a spreadsheet but it doesn't use the default template.
Am I missing something or is there a work around?
Thank you in advance for your help.
--
Phillip
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Phillip
OOO version 3.2.1, Windows 7
acknak

Re: Opening CSV file in Calc

Post by acknak »

Templates are only used when you are creating a new document. When you open a file, no template is used, everything comes from the document alone.

So, the workaround is to first create a new spreadsheet document using your template, then use Insert > Sheet From File to import your csv data.

In that process, the template can only provide settings and cell styles; the data from the csv will not mix with content and formatting loaded through the template. If your goal is a spreadsheet that mixes content from the template with data from the csv, you'll need to take a different approach.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Open your template.
Open the csv in a text editor
Copy&paste
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
houseofman

Post by houseofman »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions but my objective has been to simply the process for the field crews who come back to the office and simply wish to dump their files. I found an the solution using Notepad++.
Phillip
OOO version 3.2.1, Windows 7