[Solved] Why does OpenOffice make a copy of my files ?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
AC2013

[Solved] Why does OpenOffice make a copy of my files ?

Post by AC2013 »

Each time I open a document, I notice that a file is made, not a copy of the file but just a blank white icon with " .~lock.odt " in the name. I've tried searching online for this and have found no answer. I've tried looking in the options and settings of Open Office and still have not resolved the issue. Please Help .
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
RoryOF

Re: Why does Open office make a copy of my files ?

Post by RoryOF »

These are lock files, housekeeping to prevent two or more simultaneous writes to the file. Ignore them or turn off Viewing of hidden files so you don't see them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
AC2013

Post by AC2013 »

Thanks for the advice. I'm a new user , could you please tell me how I would turn off viewing of hidden files ? I've been reading through my options menu but can't find any answers.
Open Office 4.0.0 . Microsoft Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This is done at operating system level as it is an operating system function.
Try the sequence given here
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ ... dows-7.htm
AC2013

Post by AC2013 »

Thank You , very kindly. I presumed it was an issue with Open Office. When I was clicking on the links in the control panel, a few things became familiar to me, I remember the " hidden " folders option from when I was using Windows 2000 and Windows XP. I've ticked the " do not show hidden folders " box, and now everything is working as I wanted, again - thank you for the help.
Open Office 4.0.0 . Microsoft Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If OpenOffice terminates unexpectedly, or computer crashes while OO is open, you will need to turn this on again, as there will be a left-over lock file which will prevent the same file being edited next time. Many of the volunteers on the Forum will work with that tunred on, and also, within OO, /View /Nonprinting characters turned on.