[Solved] What is OpenOffice 3.4.1

Not sure where to post? Post here!
danielmarcosi

[Solved] What is OpenOffice 3.4.1

Post by danielmarcosi »

I hate to bother you with a simple question, but I have been trying to figure out what this Apache Open Office 3/4/1 is exactly, and what purpose it serves.

I have Windows XP, and I have been creating documents for years, and just accessing them through "my docs" on my desktop computer.

A few years ago, my hard drive crashed and I lost my documents.

Since then, I signed up for Microsoft Skydrive, Cloud, and Google Drive.

The only one that I understood how to use was Skydrive.

I downloaded Open Office a few years ago, to help me create spreadsheets, but I can't seem to access my Open Office docs from another computer.

I tried exporting and importing, but again, it was too difficult for me.

It looks like every document that is in "my docs" is also in Open Office docs, but what is the purpose of that.

I'm frustrated.

Please advise. I just want to know how to access my docs from another computer using Open Office, if it's possible.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 3.4.1 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Re: What is Open Office 3.4.1

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice is a free Office suite, not a cloud storage mechanism.

To access your files on one computer from another, there are two necessities - both computers need to have installed OpenOffice (if you are using OpenOffice's native formats) and the files need to be stored on some form of network storage, be it the Cloud, or a network to which both computers have access.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
danielmarcosi

Re: What is OpenOffice 3.4.1

Post by danielmarcosi »

Thanks, Rory.
I was going through some other posts and figured that out.

So, is this Apache Office 3.4.1, just like an souped-up version of Docs, or is the main feature being able to convert stuff to pdf and vice-versa, or both?

I'm just trying to figure out if I need it on my computer or can I just get by with Docs
Open Office 3.4.1 on Windows XP
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

OOo is an office suite with a word processor, spreadsheet etc. See http://www.openoffice.org/ for more details. The suite does have the capability to produce PDF files but cannot edit them.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If your need is for simple text document preparation without a spreadsheet, presentation package, draw application etc, then you probably won't need OpenOffice o r LibreOffice. For a simple document only application consider AbiWord. Or, if you need 100% MS Office compatability, buy that. Only you know what your needs are likely to be.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

What are Docs and "my docs"? Are these applications or file folders?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Mark Nelson

Post by Mark Nelson »

Bill wrote:What are Docs and "my docs"? Are these applications or file folders?
In my experience Bill Docs are .doc files and "my docs" maybe a folder of some kind that he keeps them in.
Windows 10
OpenOffice.org 4.1.1 LibreOffice 5.01
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Mark Nelson wrote:
Bill wrote:What are Docs and "my docs"? Are these applications or file folders?
In my experience Bill Docs are .doc files and "my docs" maybe a folder of some kind that he keeps them in.
The OP compared AOO 3.4.1 to a "souped-up version of Docs". That sounds more like an application than a file format.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Mark Nelson

Post by Mark Nelson »

GOOGLE Docs which got absorbed into Google Drive is an online Office Suite that seems to be OpenOffice.org online is all I can think of that could be called Docs.
Windows 10
OpenOffice.org 4.1.1 LibreOffice 5.01