[Issue] Print set-up shows portrait but prints landscape

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Silvertree01

[Issue] Print set-up shows portrait but prints landscape

Post by Silvertree01 »

I am new to OO and this problem is driving me crazy.
My doc. documents display on screen in Portrait format, but print in Landscape format using Print command from File menu. However, when I print directly from Print icon on toolbar, they print in Portrait format.
I checked File Menu - Page Preview - which shows document in Portrait format.
I also checked View Menu - Page Layout - which shows document in Landscape format.
What's going on?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on MacOS 10.8.2
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Print set-up shows portrait but prints landscape

Post by thomasjk »

Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

Hi, I am having the same problem, have you fixed it and if so HOW? I am a novice, please reply using basic language! Thanks,
Open Office.org 3.1
Apple Mac
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you at least tried to reset the profile as explained in the link above?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

I don't know if this is related, but I've been having this problem with the new AOO on Linux. Too many things have been upgraded recently for me to be sure it's OOo's fault; I've just been exporting to pdf and printing from that (I'm finding I do less and less paper printing these days).
 Edit: PS: 
Here's a bug report for it:
Issue 121080: printing on PDF format or Preview by print panel ignores page orientation
You can register there and add your vote (up to two) or comment.

The report is almost 4 months old and still unconfirmed; that doesn't seem too encouraging.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I haven't had any Portrait printing as Landscape problems with A003.4.x on Ubuntu printing from several computers to several different brands of printer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

I tried to do the reset the profile but to be honest I didn't really understand it, as I say I am a novice on this and I have an apple mac OSX - Mountain Lion if this helps?
Could you give me step by step instructions for an idiot :-)
Open Office.org 3.1
Apple Mac
Hagar Delest

Re: [Issue] Print set-up shows portrait but prints landscape

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you really read the posts? They were written with some level of details and step by step instructions.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

I can see how the instructions would not be all that clear for a novice or even a "basic" Mac user. Here are some step-by-step instructions:

-Make sure that OpenOffice is closed
-Go to the Finder (click the blue face icon on the dock)
-Hold down the option key while choosing the "Go" menu
-Select "Library" from the list that appears; a new Finder window will open
-in that window, find the "Application Support" folder and open it
-Find the OpenOffice.org folder and open it
-Find the 3 folder and open it
-Inside the 3 folder, is a folder called "user" you want to either move this folder to the desktop, or rename it

Now restart OpenOffice, and see if that resolves the problem.
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

Thank you so much kabing! Yes it has worked! I have been trying for ages. What do I do with the user folder that I now have on the desk top? Shall I leave it there?
Thanks again, you are a diamond!
Open Office.org 3.1
Apple Mac
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

If you haven't created templates, autotexts, or customized keyboard shortcuts and the like, you can just throw the "user" folder on the desk top away (drag it to the trash).

I you have created templates, autotexts, customized keyboard shortcuts or the like, you will need to decide how much work you are willing to go through to try to salvage them. It is possible to go through a process of elimination to find the specific preference file that is corrupt, in order to save the other files. It's a bit time consuming and fiddly, though.
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
jmarcd2

Post by jmarcd2 »

I hope i'm not too late ... i've feedback on this issue of Portrait vs Landscape.

I was using a old computer for labelling running Windows XP/SP2/512M+20G and OpenOffice 2.0 (Yes you readit correctly)

This computer as never been updated since is installation with One SATO and One Epson Printer for shipping label.
Off-course this computer i'm talking about this because a HDD malfunction cause the computer to crash.

So ok, i,ve put a new hdd and re install the machine using Windows XPSP2 and the Latest OpenOffice3 (at the time) and give the computer back to the shipper.
After couple of fast test that all printer work... Phone ring in the middle of the day the girl using that machine tell me something wrong.
All hers label print side-wise ? Ask my self what are you talking about ... I've not play with your label folder and the printer driver are the same.

Imagine the problem of Portrait vs Landscape is starting ... after couple of hours, i decide the try to restore hers old HDD with clone ignoring bad sector and reboot.
Magic .. problem of Portrait vs Landscape gone. She looking at here label on the screen and ask to OpenOffice2 to print landscape no problem.

It's return to OpenOffice2 and no problem ... is this can help your diagnostic of printer what you see should be what you want. I've been printing Landscape with MSWord for longtime and i've to return to MS office when i'm doing Label no choice.

Thank you for reading ..

PS. Yes I've try all the trick found on all the forums reset the profile, changes drivers .. so all my friend who thing no body understand ... welcome to our world of no Landscape.
OpenOffice 2 / OpenOffice 3 / OpenOffice 4 on Windows XP /7 /8 or OsX 10.6.8 or CentOS5 or Ubuntu 10
wydrzyk
Banned

Post by wydrzyk »

Hi, I`m having the same problem, I tried to reset the profile - that did not help.
I used hints of jmarcd2 too - nothing...
I don`t know what to do. I use a pretty new computer (DELL), with Win7, and OO version 3.3.0. What can I do more?... Please, help me, I must to print a lot.
OpenOffice 3.3.0, Win7, [url=http://www.kraktour.com]wieliczka salt mine[/url], [url=http://ortho-med.pl/]stomatolog wrocław[/url], [url=http://www.carter.pl/]części toyota gdańsk[/url], [url=http://www.kolumnapark.pl//]hotel łódź[/url], [url=http://sdm-myszkowski.com/]sdm[/url],
acknak

Post by acknak »

The most helpful workaround for printing issues is to export to pdf, then print from that. The pdf viewer software is generally more robust.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Check your settings under /Format /Page and when you have selected a printer check Properties in /File /Print

One workaround is to set up two printers on the same port, one set to Landscape, one set to Portrait. Then just print to the appropriate printer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jmarcd2

Post by jmarcd2 »

I found a solutions about the landscape/portrait problem.

Well, actually i did not found-it because have notice this since the begin...

Setting two printer on the same ports... one on portrait second on landscape ...
well this for some reason not allways working....

THE solution allways working for me, since i have a dedicated station for label etc...

Roll back to version 2.0.2 of openoffice ... work perfectly well

what did you change when passing to OO 3.xx no clue but 2.0 work as expected.

good luck
OpenOffice 2 / OpenOffice 3 / OpenOffice 4 on Windows XP /7 /8 or OsX 10.6.8 or CentOS5 or Ubuntu 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

I never had any problem with page orientation until the last few releases--maybe 3.3 and following.

Apparently the workaround for this problem is to switch OO from pdf to postscript format for sending data to the print system: look under the printer properties and change the "Printer language type" to Postscript. That fixes the orientation problems for me.