[Solved] Forum header update

Let us know how we are doing -
Hagar Delest

[Solved] Forum header update

Post by Hagar Delest »

The current header of the forum is a custom one, made years ago IIRC.
Now that 4.0 has been released, there is a little change in the branding. Currently, the 3 main areas users can visit are not consistent, see below:
Main site, not very sexy
Main site, not very sexy
Wiki, wrong icon but nice background
Wiki, wrong icon but nice background
Forum, custom branding
Forum, custom branding
On the dev mailling list, Andrea Pescetti wrote:Remember, a consistent branding is a big strength for this project. There are countless scam or dubious sites around, and using the right branding on our sites can help users in recognizing the "official" sites, even though active community members do not need it.
I think that this is indeed a good point to have a consistent branding whatever the area is. I've made a quick proposal to have a nice background with the correct new AOO icon.
NB: wiki would be replaced by forum of course.
Proposal
Proposal
Thoughts?

Edit: related report: Bug 122998 - Forum and wiki Header design.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed May 04, 2022 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Forum header update

Post by RoryOF »

+1
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Good point, Hagar!

One potential issue: we're not exclusively an Apache Open Office (nee OpenOffice.org) site. We've purposely used slightly different branding to communicate that we are independent--at some level--from the hosting organization.

The branding issue could well be more important at this point. And, I wonder just how many visitors pick up on the subtle difference and connect that with forum governance. Maybe it's time to drop the attempt at visual distinction and just let the side text take care of it.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

acknak wrote:The branding issue could well be more important at this point. And, I wonder just how many visitors pick up on the subtle difference and connect that with forum governance. Maybe it's time to drop the attempt at visual distinction and just let the side text take care of it.
Yes, I think that the text should be kept for that purpose.
RGB

Post by RGB »

Hagar Delest wrote:The current header of the forum is a custom one, made years ago IIRC.
Just one year ago :mrgreen:
Hagar Delest wrote:Now that 4.0 has been released, there is a little change in the branding. Currently, the 3 main areas users can visit are not consistent, see below:
The attachment Decor - AOO main site.png is no longer available
The attachment Decor - Wiki.png is no longer available
The attachment Decor - Forum.png is no longer available
On the dev mailling list, Andrea Pescetti wrote:Remember, a consistent branding is a big strength for this project. There are countless scam or dubious sites around, and using the right branding on our sites can help users in recognizing the "official" sites, even though active community members do not need it.
I think that this is indeed a good point to have a consistent branding whatever the area is. I've made a quick proposal to have a nice background with the correct new AOO icon.
NB: wiki would be replaced by forum of course.
The attachment Decor - United.png is no longer available
Thoughts?
I agree on using the project logo here on the forum too. Another logo can can be updated is the download logo we have on the footer of each page.

On a related note, the text that shows on the browser title bar when browsing the EN forum is wrong:
EN-forum.png
"OpenOffice.org" should be updated ;)

That text can be changed on the ACP → General tab → Site configuration → Site name.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Should have remembered this long discussion indeed!

I've fixed the browser tip, thanks.

Download icon is to be updated also. Will try to make a proposal to be implemented by someone having enough rights for the upload.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

RoryOF wrote:+1
+1
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Here is my proposal for the new download icon:
AOO4_download_logo.png
AOO4_download_logo.png (7.5 KiB) Viewed 27824 times
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I like it. And I love your avatar. As you are our most productive poster, maybe we should integrate that in the forum logo. ;)
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
pescetti

Post by pescetti »

From a technical point of view, the header is a bit tricky since we now have: It is probably feasible to adapt Hagar's concept to follow this structure.

Also note that we have other proposals at https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=122998
OpenOffice 4.1.2 Italian
jza

Post by jza »

Hello I started the discussion on the ML, I just found the thread now. I have been working with imacat to update the logo and have created the bug to update the following headers.

As my message on the bug said: "There was a conversation about the lack of compatibility between the current forum logo and the current Apache OpenOffice Logo."

I know about acknak history as I was involved with drew on the building process of the forum. I also update the branding from the jittered version a few moons ago.

The initial proposal was incremental to switch only the typeset, Andrea suggested to also replace the gulls with the orb design. Currently you can see the attachments source and rasterized for it.

Imacat already have the images up on the forum server, we are just waiting a final consensus. :super:
Proposal on server.
Proposal on server.
forum-header.png (11.63 KiB) Viewed 27760 times
AOO 4.1.1 on Arch Linux
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Thanks (I remembered your bug report after raising the subject).
Your proposal with the forum background is indeed very nice if the standard one is not compatible with the forum background.
NB: rendering is strange in your post.
jza

Post by jza »

Forum index is already updated as well:
Forum index
Forum index
AOO 4.1.1 on Arch Linux
jza

Post by jza »

Hagar Delest wrote: NB: wiki would be replaced by forum of course.
The attachment Decor - United.png is no longer available
Thoughts?

Edit: related report: Bug 122998 - Forum and wiki Header design.
JanIV made a comment about having the same forum head bar, but this is difficult since it respond to a different html-css structure. this task is possible but major changes to the theme need to be applied. Not only that but the wiki theme is outdated as the www site no longer carry this theme (it was replaced with Oracle's take over in 2010).

In other words, wiki needs to catch up with www.

There is also a new theme being worked on the drupal sites (extensions and templates).

Anyway I did generate a banner for forum similar to the wiki, since that day.
Forum header banner. ** Outdated theme ***
Forum header banner. ** Outdated theme ***
My proposal is for the wiki to adopt the Durpal theme, and re-design the header w/logo. At the moment mWiki already has the new logo.
AOO 4.1.1 on Arch Linux
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Why not the standard logo for the forum landing page? It would give more consistency with the other areas.
I'm not sure the feather and the sub-line are really needed.
jza

Post by jza »

Hagar Delest wrote:Why not the standard logo for the forum landing page? It would give more consistency with the other areas.
I'm not sure the feather and the sub-line are really needed.
The original image had them, i just update the actual typeset and globe, and put the logo instead.
forum-logoprev.png
forum-logoprev.png (19.38 KiB) Viewed 27748 times
AOO 4.1.1 on Arch Linux
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I know but I find it a bit too "funny"!
I prefer more sober icons and if possible consistent with the main branding.
jza

Post by jza »

Hagar Delest wrote:I know but I find it a bit too "funny"!
I prefer more sober icons and if possible consistent with the main branding.
In that case I dont see a need for duplication and just link from the www site.
http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_lo ... e_logo.png

Hopefully the canonical logo.png convention goes through and we can just have a unique url and get it updated as we go along.
AOO 4.1.1 on Arch Linux
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

That would be fine for me.
jza

Post by jza »

So do we have a go on this image?
AOO 4.1.1 on Arch Linux
acknak

Post by acknak »

Here's what I get with the logo image on the forum banner background. There seems to be some problem with colors in the "orb" no? They're so light it's difficult to see the design at all.
forum_banner_proposal_00.png
forum_banner_proposal_00.png (16.43 KiB) Viewed 27728 times
It also seems there is too much space between the orb and the text. It looks a bit "off" to me.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jza

Post by jza »

Seems the gulls had a contour around the SVG, and i agree on the space between. I put the original logo (with the natural separation).
Fixed separation
Fixed separation
AOO-Forumlogo.png (10.8 KiB) Viewed 27728 times
with background
with background.
with background.
forumwbg.png (15.46 KiB) Viewed 27728 times
AOO 4.1.1 on Arch Linux
jza

Post by jza »

Logo is up and running.
AOO 4.1.1 on Arch Linux
RGB

Post by RGB »

Sorry but there is something utterly wrong going on here: you cannot pass from a proposal to a working implementation in just one day, specially considering that the concern expressed by acknak was not answered! We are a community, we do things by discussion and consensus, and that always needs time. The "lazy consensus" in use at Apache ask for at least 72 hours before doing something, an for a reason. What you did has nothing to do with implementing a new logo, you simply bypassed the opinion of everyone here!

Note that I'm not discussing the merit of your work on the new logo, I'm discussing the serious communication problem that arise from its sudden implementation. A big -1 from my side.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

jza

Post by jza »

AFAIK the proposal was done on the mailing list for a almost 4 days now, there was no real -1 (until now). Ackneck really never raised an issue as much of a historic reference, neither he mentioned an alternative route.

Like I mentioned on my post, the logo is not new, this logo has been implemented for a good 3 weeks, (yes the color is different because of background). Like I said, I was asking for consensus and there was IMO a consensus reached that having common branding was agreed upon.

I also checked other posts, and all discussions never seems to end in a "verbal conclusion". Again, even your -1 isn't really concerning the work at hand, nor are giving an alternative route to act upon (actually you are suggesting the opposite). The work is done, if you want to take it down, is up to you to propose a rollback and wait the 72hrs for agreement.
AOO 4.1.1 on Arch Linux
RGB

Post by RGB »

I'm not discussing the logo and in fact I agree on the need for an uniform branding. I'm discussing the process. I'm discussing the failure on the communication process. The proposal here is just one day old. Asking for an opinion and then acting without waiting for the answer is wrong independently of the fact that the action ended being good or bad.

jza

Post by jza »

I am sorry but what you are suggesting is a 72hrs timeline on mailinglist then 72hrs on bugzilla then 72 on forums. The thread was started on Sunday EST we are on thursday. Its well beyond the period.
AOO 4.1.1 on Arch Linux
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Well, many volunteers here don't regularly visit the mailing lists.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Anyway, I don't think we have much choice. Nobody has proposed any alternative. So I'm not against the already made change.

However, there is still the problem with the color of the orb logo that is not right.
Does it mean that we need to change the background of the banner so that we have the right set of colors?
RGB

Post by RGB »

Hagar Delest wrote:Anyway, I don't think we have much choice. Nobody has proposed any alternative.
This thread was started the 11th and the logo was checked in the 15th, no wonder there was no other proposals: as floris said, not all people here (I'll add: almost nobody here) follows the mailing lists, which is perfectly fine.

In fact, Friday there was a proposal on the ES forums by user SLV-es

it needs a lot of work, but what it is clear from this example is the simple fact that if you give people a chance, people will respond. With enough time and good communication, two things that were completely missing here, everything is possible.