Alternative Search

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
jmanque

Alternative Search

Post by jmanque »

I just upgraded to Open Office version 4.0.0 from 3.4.1. I use the Alternative Search extension. While it's still there, and functional, accessed from either the Tools/Add-Ons menu or the Edit menu, the toolbar icon for it is gone. If I remember correctly it had its own docking toolbar, but I can't figure out how to open it. Does anyone know how?
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Re: Alternative Search

Post by Hagar Delest »

See the end of the first post about the extensions: OpenOffice 4.0 released 23 July 2013!
It has been reported that it was working fine. But you may have to update the extension.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jmanque

Post by jmanque »

Well, it is 'working fine' except that the toolbar is gone. In the linked message it says-

>>About extensions

Beware, a change in the way extensions are build was made in 4.0. If you had an extension that includes a toolbar, it may not work anymore (toolbar disappears but code is still there and can be launched through the Macro dialog).<<

- Any idea which Macro to run? I just checked. In 'My Macros' AltSearch has 11 folders with what must be 200 macros in those folders, none of which are labeled 'tool bar' unless I overlooked one, but some are pretty cryptic to a non-computer programmer like myself.

It's not a big deal. I'm certainly not going back to 3.4 to get the toolbar back, but it would be nice if there's some way to do it. (And I did try un-reinstalling the extension, but the result was the same.)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is no macro to make the toolbar appear, it's a setting in the extension. This is the consequence of a very bad idea from the devs: a change that is not backward compatible disable all the toolbars of the extensions. Each author needs to update his extension to make it compatible with AOO 4.

See: http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openoff ... 04066.html
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It's a Basic macro. Just add some button or shortcut to the Writer and bind it to "_AltSearch" on module "AltSearch"
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
jmanque

Post by jmanque »

@Villeroy

Are you talking about bringing back the tool bar, or creating a hot key to open it?
hanya
Volunteer

Post by hanya »

If many people wanted to use.
Attachments
altsearch_toolbar4.zip
Contains only toolbar settings of altsearch for Apache OpenOffice 4. Change the file extension from zip to oxt before to install the package.
(1.69 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Please, edit this thread's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Apache OpenOffice 4-dev on Xubuntu 14.04
GoLTGaea

[Solved] Re: Alternative Search

Post by GoLTGaea »

This is exactly the issue I was looking for. Starting in 4 the toolbar icon for Alt.Find & Replace disappeared. It is still in the Edit menu and the application works fine.

I'm on Windows 7 64bit

So obviously not a crisis of major proportion. However, I'd really like to get it back if there's any way?

I use it a whole lot and that toolbar (it was on the standard toolbar I believe) sure was convenient.

Thanks for any assistance. :D
Last edited by GoLTGaea on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 3.4.1 on Windows 7 64bit Home Premium, Service Pack 1
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I cannot remember how I fixed this, but I have the Alt Find & Replace search icon on its own toolbar as below. When I removed the tick, and replaced the tick, I had to play around with the "crossed arrows" cursor to make space for it.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
GoLTGaea

Post by GoLTGaea »

That worked. I just now saw the reply in my email. I could always access Alt Find and Replace by going through the Edit menu. But I use it a lot so it would be nice if it went back to where is first was, at the far left of the second toolbar row. Using your method, turning it on and off several times, I got it to show up again on its own small toolbar, and was able to move it around back to where it used to be. So that's great. I hope it holds this time!
Open Office 3.4.1 on Windows 7 64bit Home Premium, Service Pack 1