Creating Template and Printing to 6x4 Postcard/Photo paper

Using them, Making them, Finding them
Flintstone

Creating Template and Printing to 6x4 Postcard/Photo paper

Post by Flintstone »

Hello,
I have numerous (hundreds) of photographs which are, to all intents and purposes, unidentifiable except by myself, friends and close associates.

I want to use the 6x4 paper tray in my printer as that is a fit for my photos.
I want to use a Template, for Txt which describes the photographs, sometimes in detail, which will fit a 6x4 (postcard) sized area.
Put the photos in the 6x4 print tray (upside down) and print the Txt to them, on it's reverse side and retain them in a suitable album/card index.
or
Using the same Template, print on 6x4 card, and display the description alongside photographs in a 6x4 photo Album or card index.
(Other Photographic paper sizes (7x5) may well also be used in similar circumstances).

Please advise how I can create (even Find) a Template for doing this .

I have found templates for A4 and Letter but they've been no use to me as having set tabs/margins/lines/font etc, in Office, and produced Txt that fits a 6x4 area, I have to use 'dummy character's and 'blanks' to ensure the txt scaling.
Then printed to A4 and cut the "6x4" area out..... tedious and I have to set every 6x4page of txt to scale it right.

I've even made a 'Layout' in Calc, by formating Cells and Txt so my inserted Txt 'fits the defined Area' I need to print to, (6x4), then setting the 'Cal,Page' area.(Landscape view!)
The 'Page' looks Ok 'on Screen' but it wont print to the 6x4 paper tray correctly as it needs needs to be printed 'Landscape' !
I cant get the Txt to scale or orientation right no matter what I try (I hope that makes sense !!?)

Alternatively

I'm wondering if using 'Labelling' might work... never used it before or even 'Envelopes'
I'm not too worried about a perfect 6x4 area to print to. I think I could use any of the 'standard' sizes for Metrics or Envelopes and just set 'Margins' to compensate (!?)

Any Help would be appreciated

Flintsone
Open Office 3.4.1 on Windows XP Profeessional
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Creating Template and Printing to 6x4 Postcard/Photo pap

Post by thomasjk »

Have you looked at this thread http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... =71&t=1161. It explains how to create a new default template for Writer. The steps are the same for any of OOo's applications. It's not necessary to make the template the default for this to work. I've attached a 6x4 template. that you can tweak to suit your needs. Its possible to make this a merge document if you so desire. See http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/art ... office_org for help with mail merge.
Attachments
photo.ott
(8.09 KiB) Downloaded 1702 times
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Flintstone

Re: Creating Template and Printing to 6x4 Postcard/Photo pap

Post by Flintstone »

Hello,

Thank you for the Template.
I had already achieved what you sent, (other than printing in Landscape!) However !!

The Template shows the 'page' in Portrait and even athough it will now allow me to print in Landscape it doesn't cover my needs as the typing is oriented the wrong way.
I want to be able to type to a 'Landscape 6x4 Template' then print to the 6x4 paper tray (in Landscape due to the paper feed)

I've tried setting the tabs etc. for a 6x4 Landscape page view but I can't get it to print to the 6x4 paper as seen on the page view.

Thanks again,
I hope you can help me further?

Stan Flintstone
Open Office 3.4.1 on Windows XP Profeessional