Corrupted File - What to do?

Discuss the word processor
Daniel36

Corrupted File - What to do?

Post by Daniel36 »

Hello everyone,

Today I started up my computer, and it asked me to update Java.
Being the lazy man that I am, I didn't want to do that, as I wanted to continue writing a document I had been working on for a couple of months.

I suppose OpenOffice works with Java, as it first prompted me that it could not open because something was invalid, and I seem to remember Java being mentioned.
It then continued to ask me to register and all, something that OpenOffice never asks of me.

After that, I was given the following options:
OO-001.jpg
Upon accepting the options, my document becomes 223 pages of : ################ <-- this.
Shocked to find my work gone, I obviously immediately updated Java and subsequently updated OpenOffice, but to no avail. It still does this.

The document is purely hobby related, but I spent quite a lot of work on it and I would be very saddened if I couldn't regain the document.
Can anyone help? I would be most grateful. I could email the file.

Kind regards,
Daniel
OpenOffice 3, now 4 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Corrupted File - What to do?

Post by RoryOF »

The corrupt file is due, not to Java, but a bad save. This usually occurs when the computer is shut down too quickly (as in a System crash) or sometimes simply just over speedy close down of the program or computer, without giving time for the write buffers of the operating system, or the internal write buffers of the disk drives, to flush.

If it asks you to register, this is because your User Profile has been damaged/removed, possibly due also to over speedy close down, as the User Profile is then updated with file information. This can also be (possible, perhaps not likely) a sign of imminent hard disk failure.

One can rename the .odt file to .zip, and try to open it with Winzip or similar archive manager. If it opens, the text is in Content.xml. Also worth trying to see if there is a backup file in the directory pointed to by
/Tools/ Options /OpenOffice.org >Paths >Backup.
Sometimes there can be a file of approximately the correct date/time with an arbitrary name such as sgfxt,ghp in the directory pointed to by
/Tools/ Options /OpenOffice.org >Paths >Temporary Files
Rename such files to .udt and see if they open.

Because you have installed AOO4.0 over AOO 3.4.1, you may have to do a little fiddling about to find any such files (if they exist) as there may be separate paths for AOO 3.4.1 and the later version. Your target files should be in the earlier path.

It is also worth running an undelete utilty such as PhotoRec, which may also find erased file content.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You may be able to restore an undamaged version of the file from a Restore point. Right-click the damaged file and select Restore previous versions

Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Daniel36

Post by Daniel36 »

Thank you both.
I will try to do what you have suggested.
@Bill: Tried that already, no such luck.
Daniel36

Post by Daniel36 »

Tried some of these things, but nothing worked.

At least now I do know the root of the problem. I had left my laptop on for DAYS, and when I last closed it, I had left this file open and the battery ran out today...
No wonder.

So if anything, thank you RoryOF for explaining the root of the problem to me, so I can at least never make the same mistake again!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I never let a laptop hibernate/sleep with an open OpenOffice file (previous reports of file corruption). A useful tip is to hit CTRL S to Save a file any time there is an interruption (standard Save shortcut for all Windows programs, possibly all Operating Systems). As an old time personal computer user (35 year) I don't let computers run for indefinite times. When I sleep, they sleep, unless doing long downloads on bad lines.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Daniel36

Post by Daniel36 »

After a lot of work for nothing, I decided to just restart. I now have a document that I feel is better than the previous one...
Thanks to everyone for the answers and tips. I now know NEVER to keep a .doc open when closing down my PC.

:)

As far as I am concerned this thread can be closed.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Even better to work always in .odt, and only save out as .doc when necessary. Again, never let it sleep with an open file.