[Solved] Help for a Newbie & Tech Idiot, please?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
Mitramonday

[Solved] Help for a Newbie & Tech Idiot, please?

Post by Mitramonday »

I have a new Windows8 laptop that is taking me time to get used to. However, I have finally finished transferring all my files :) . I have also managed to change most of them to open in OO. However, I have a WPS file and a few PUB files. Can anyone tell me (in words of one syllable please :oops: ) how I can open them? Thanking you all in advance for being gentle with me :lol: BTW, I am using OpenOffice 4, but the registration form didn't seem to like that!!
Last edited by RoryOF on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 3.4 on Windows 8
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Help for a Newbie & Tech Idiot, please?

Post by thomasjk »

The WPS file is a MS Works file and can be opened in Libreoffice http://www.libreoffice.org/download. Libreoffice also has a filter for PUB files.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Mitramonday

Post by Mitramonday »

Thanks for that, thomasjk. In the release notes of Libreoffice (I'm a self-confessed instructions-addict!) it states "For Windows users that have OpenOffice.org installed, we advise uninstalling that beforehand, because it registers the same file type associations" - do I need to take note of that? If so, which is better, OpenOffice or Libreoffice?
Mitramonday

Post by Mitramonday »

OUCH!! I've just gone to open a doc in OpenOffice - and it refuses to open....as do others? I was able to open them earlier today, but now I just get the little blue circle turning for a second or two, and then nothing? I have tried to 'Open with...(OpenOffice)' and have also set the default to OpenOffice, but nothing is working?
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Use Task Manager and kill any soffice processes. Then re-start OOo.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Mitramonday wrote:Thanks for that, thomasjk. In the release notes of Libreoffice (I'm a self-confessed instructions-addict!) it states "For Windows users that have OpenOffice.org installed, we advise uninstalling that beforehand, because it registers the same file type associations" - do I need to take note of that? If so, which is better, OpenOffice or Libreoffice?
No you don't have to. Ideally you just need to set the preference for which program opens an OpenOffice file. Just right click on a file and choose which of possbibly several programs you can use to open the file.

In fact, for some bizarre reason that I have forgotten, if I click on a ods file it opens in LO but odt files open in AOO.

Which one of LO or AOO use depends on your specific needs. Other than file conversions the two tend to be pretty much the same for regular use. Acutally I am not sure about this with AOO 4.0 as I have not installed it yet.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you have moved away from any program that generates WPS files, you would be well advised to convert them all to .odt (or whatever format you will use from now on). You can do this using LibreOffice, I understand, or alternately, you can use the free online conversion at www.zamzar.com. Your PUB files will need to be converted using that or some similar site.

Bear in mind that any format conversion may necessitate some reformatting - probably minor in the case of the WPS, but perhaps major in the case of the PUB files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Mitramonday

Post by Mitramonday »

Thank you all :super: One more thing (at the moment....I'm sure I'll be posting on here again :lol: ) - what are .ods files as opposed to .odt files????
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

ODS files are spreadsheet files (opened by Calc), whereas ODT files are document files, opened by Writer. The generic term for OpenOffice files is ODF as they are all, or most of them, of the form ODx.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Mitramonday

Post by Mitramonday »

Many thanks, RoryOF!!
lilianjie
Banned

Re: [Solved] Help for a Newbie & Tech Idiot, please?

Post by lilianjie »

If your need is for simple published written text documents preparing without a worksheet, business presentation system, draw system etc, then you probably won't need OpenOffice o r LibreOffice. For a simple documents only system consider AbiWord. Or, if you need 100% MS Office compatability, buy that. Only you know what your needs are likely to be.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista | NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 | OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04