[Solved] LibreOffice crashes executing macro

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
Schorpioen

[Solved] LibreOffice crashes executing macro

Post by Schorpioen »

Hello,

I tried to create a database with LibreOffice. It contains some macros. When starting the database I am first prompted to enable the macros. Then I get a contact form, containing several buttons. Most buttons activate macros that print a report. These reports are based on queries. I have created the database for someone who only uses Windows 8.

Now here is my problem:

I have created and tested the database in Windows Vista. Sometimes everything goes well, and sometimes not. The reason is not clear, because sometimes there is nothing changed and the next time it goes wrong again. I tried LibreOffice 4.03, 4.04 and 3.6, all versions with both JRE 1.6.0_22 and 1.7.0_25. One time everything works, sometimes the database crashes, after clicking a button to print a report. When using LO 3.6 and 4.0.3 the database seems to freeze (not responding) so I have to close LO and start again, each time with the message that the database must be restored. After this recovery than it will work again, even without something been changed. When LO 4.0.4 I get a window to restore the database immediately after clicking the same button. Then I start again to restore. After that I reopen the database and after clicking the same button I get the same window to restore the database.

When tested under Linux, I have had no crashes yet. Mageia with LO 4.0.3 and openSUSE with LO 3.6.

I really want it to work in Windows too.

Thanks in advance, Willem
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: LibreOffice crashes executing macro

Post by Villeroy »

LO is the most experimental office suite.
Base is the worst database front-end ever.
The report builder depends on Java and a 3rd party software named "Pentaho".
Java on Windows depends on several runtime libraries from coming from MS and Oracle (black spy vs. white spy).
There are no two equal Windows systems on this planet and the same system behaves differently after every reboot (did you turn off all virus scanning? are you really sure there is no malware?)

To this delicate software stack you add your own code written in a rotten lingo called "StarBasic" calling an API that makes a grown man cry.

What do you expect? What is all that macro madness good for? Can't you open and print a report manually?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Schorpioen

Post by Schorpioen »

I'm not an IT-er. My knowledge was acquired bij self study. So, I am a novice, speaking in terms of making databases.
I use LO because I see no reason to spend money on a program that I need 2 or 3 times a year. Why LO then ? Because I read that OOo is not supported anymore.
The person I made the database for, is in his late forties and I think he saw a computer for the first time 2 weeks ago on his brand new pc. He only has seen Windows 8 and gets lost already. It's not an option to install Linux on his computer. This is the reason why I implemented some macros : for him it is easier to click a button than to click 3 or 4 times to print a report. For me it's better to work with macros and buttons because he can't do accidently any damage to the database.
So, yes, I can open and print a report manually, but he can't.
My system is protected very well, I suppose. I have the same result under Windows on several computers, including someone elses computers.
Under Linux, no crashes yet.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Schorpioen wrote:<snip> Why LO then ? Because I read that OOo is not supported anymore.
<snip>
This is incorrect - OpenOffice is actively supported and actively under development. This Forum is served by Apache (OpenOffice) servers; it supports all OpenOffice derivatives, including LibreOffice. Apache OpenOffice v4.0 is in final test and release is expected shortly; it will be announced on this forum and elsewhere.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Schorpioen

Post by Schorpioen »

RoryOF : I tested now with Apache OpenOffice, and I had no problems. Thanks for the hint.

Villeroy : I got an answer form Bugzilla and it seems the report-builder doesn't work in LO 4.0.4. It will be fixed in Version LO 4.0.5. Thanks for the input.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] LibreOffice crashes executing macro

Post by Hagar Delest »

Again FUD from the LibO team...
:roll:
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Schorpioen wrote:RoryOF : I tested now with Apache OpenOffice, and I had no problems. Thanks for the hint.

Villeroy : I got an answer form Bugzilla and it seems the report-builder doesn't work in LO 4.0.4. It will be fixed in Version LO 4.0.5. Thanks for the input.
So it has nothing to do with your macro. The whole thing crashes when you open the report, right?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Schorpioen

Re: [Solved] LibreOffice crashes executing macro

Post by Schorpioen »

Villeroy wrote: So it has nothing to do with your macro. The whole thing crashes when you open the report, right?
That's wright. The bug is triggered by opening a report, any report. Not by the macro.
I installed the daily build versien of LO 4.1 (2013-06-27) and the problem still exists. If the problem still exists in the new upgrade, I will return to OOo.