Over the line?

Let us know how we are doing -
acknak

Over the line?

Post by acknak »

I received an email request to delete Villeroy's comment, here: http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 50#p276850

My feeling is that the remark is harshly critical but not personal: it's a criticism of the way the site looks rather than the person. Too fine a line, perhaps. I do wish the point was expressed differently, but it's not my post.

A larger issue: does the thread belong here at all? I'm neither qualified nor interested in the add-on they're promoting, so I can't say whether it has any real connection to OOo at all. Migrating an Excel add-on to Calc seems rather hopeless, but I can't say for sure.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Re: Over the line?

Post by RoryOF »

I'd leave Villeroy's remarks. Villeroy's comments are often on the edge, but his advice is good. We must remember that he is not posting in his native language, and may miss the subtleties of discourse. This is not intended as a criticism of him - my German is non existent.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Yes, the comment is unnecessarily rude, but I dislike the idea of deleting posts. I vote to leave it.
On the other hand - Villeroy, please don't respond like that. When the posts are annoying, and I agree that one was, just let them go. The absence of flame wars on this forum is one of its best features.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Such a migration can be a good idea but if no helpful reply is received here, OP should seek for a professional support. So I would let the topic here.
As for the replies, well, that's Villeroy. Could have been expressed differently, agreed. That's just his way to ask some details when suspicion arise (I guess that the database is the one where the the test plan should be stored).

NB: this very topic is in the public section, are we agreed on that?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

I assume everything is public anyway :shock:
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Just look at that web-site and try to follow some of the links. He is a big pretender.
His VB code pulls some data from some Hewlet Packard software(for whatever reason).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
acknak

Post by acknak »

As long as it's not an outright spam or scam, I'm inclined to just leave it. There's no rule against giving questionable advice.

Who knows, maybe some constructive criticism will improve it.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Villeroy wrote:He is a big pretender.
+1.
But as soon as there is no live link, I don't mind.
Note as he posts with references to his doings (website, activity, ...), he takes the risk of being criticized. So no need to complain when you receive comments that don't go your way.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Villeroy wrote:...
His VB code pulls some data from some Hewlet Packard software(for whatever reason).
Reason: The "Quality center" system that he tries to plug into is a product of HP.

While I would not use as harsh words, I follow your sentiments, Villeroy. (Also, his website seems to be offline. Maybe I would agree to the wording as well, if I'd seen the site.)
The asker has provided links and stated some cause, but when you look through that, essentially his statement is "This Excel plugin does not work in Calc. Please make it work."
acknak wrote:I assume everything is public anyway :shock:
I was also a bit surprised that this discussion is in public, in the "Site feedback" section. Doesn't bother me, but it was perhaps not the intended spot...
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

keme wrote:Maybe I would agree to the wording as well, if I'd seen the site.)
The whole site was a Potemkin Village of "scientific" articles and references leading to nowhere. He layed out his conception of freedom perfectly well. It's all about free beer. That jerk wants us to work for him -- for free. I'm convinced he does not understand a single line of the VB he posted (not even the Italian comments).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice