What's wrong with Base and JRE not running?

Discuss the database features
ia1980

What's wrong with Base and JRE not running?

Post by ia1980 »

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =7&t=55111

hi there
I have recently posted in Writer forum (see link above) and the reply was to make a database
So I started making a database. Obviously when you start Base it asks you to name the file etc and I did that and wanted to proceed to making the database
BUT
Then Base told me the JRE was not running and it needs JRE. The fact that it is there and was recently updated (less than a fortnight ago) I still reinstalled it. But the Base is still saying it is not running - so its running but the Base can't see it or something like that

So what do I do

regards
IA

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
ia1980
OpenOffice 3.3
Windows 7
RPG
Volunteer

Re: what wrong with Base

Post by RPG »

Hello

From the help file.
Connect Java to OOo.

Romke
Java
Specifies the support options for Java applications in LibreOffice, including which Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to use.

To access this command...
Choose Tools - Options - LibreOffice - Java

Java options
Use a Java runtime environment
Allows you to run Java applications in LibreOffice. When a Java application attempts to access your hard drive, a prompt opens.
Java runtime environments (JRE) already installed:
Select the JRE that you want to use. On some systems, you must wait a minute until the list gets populated. On some systems, you must restart LibreOffice to use your changed setting. The path to the JRE is displayed beneath the list box.
Add
Add a path to the root folder of a JRE on your computer. The path is set in the following dialog.
Parameters
Opens the Java Start Parameters dialog.
Class Path
Opens the Class Path dialog.
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Note that at present OpenOffice is only happy with a 32 bit Java on Windows 7; it also does not like Java 7, so you may need to download and install Java 1.6_33 (or earlier). This can be downloaded from
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 37595.html
Download the windows x86 version and install it. Then start OpenOffice, go to /Tools /Options /OpenOffice.org : Java, give it a few seconds to detect your various Java installations, and put a check beside the 32 bit version.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

It is little known that you do not depend on Java just to run Base. The client part of Base doesn't require Java, only the default embedded HSQLDB database engine (and of course the JDBC drivers if you use them to connect to the database backend). The JDBC drivers are very widely tested and reliable, but at least on MS Windows it is no problems to use an ODBC driver. If you have a database backend that doesn't requrire the JRE (like MS Access, SQLite, MySQL,...) you can use the ODBC driver to establish the connection.

So if you have tried everything to get OpenOffice at the point where it accepts the Java Runtime version to which you pointing it. But it still doesn't like your Java Runtime (JRE) you can try this fallback on ODBC. (But ODBC is surely not working with the embedded HSQLDB database).
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
ia1980

Re: What's wrong with Base and JRE not running?

Post by ia1980 »

Hi there
Is it in (after opening Base and the name of my file) .......
Tools
Options
Java

The box that opens says JRE is already installed (with the box saying use JRe clicked) but it does not accept it when I click on the form /table wizard and I get teh same message that there is no JAVA
Regards
IA
ia1980
OpenOffice 3.3
Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You need to go to /Tools /Options /OpenOffice.org : Java and place a checkmark beside the 32 bit version of Java; it may have selected another one. It should show you the various versions available - you are looking for a 1.6 version; if there are multiple 1.6 versions, try them one after the other until you find the 32 bit version. After each selection press OK; you may need to close and restart OpenOffice to get this to take reliably.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Screenshot by "floris v" in topic http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 87#p229454
Any 32-bit version of Java 1.6.xxx works with OpenOffice and LibreOffice.
In many other cases Java 1.7.xxx works as well (certainly not under 64-bit Windows).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ia1980

Post by ia1980 »

Thanks Villeroy
I think i know whats wrong
there is Nothing in the box where you are showing the Vendor/Version/Features
So the next obvious question is where do I get the Sun microsystems etc on it
In my program files (x86) there is folder JAVA which has 2 sub-folders jre6 and jre7 and there is no folder with Sunmicrosytems in the program files folder
If I click, JAVA or any of the subfolders ie : jre6 (installed in April2012) or jre7 (installed 3 days ago) I get a message that there is no java runtime environment in the folder

Although I downloaded and installed JAVA from 'oracle page' do I need a different download - if so please send a link

Regards
IA
ia1980
OpenOffice 3.3
Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Make sure you've installed the 32bit version of Java.
But it seems so since the 32bit version of applications install in /Program Files (x86) and 64bit version in /Program Files.
Have you waited enough? It can take some time until OOo/AOO finds the Java folder.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
DACM
Volunteer

Post by DACM »

rudolfo wrote:It is little known that you do not depend on Java just to run Base...
Good, concise description of the options rudolfo! Very nice.

Here's more of the same in the Base FAQ:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... se_Base.3F
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
ia1980

Post by ia1980 »

Hi
I have given up so I am now using Access for database and using open office for 'word etc'

I have even reloaded the latest open office 'version 3.4' which has not sorted the problem but has lead to another problem.

I know this is the wrong forum but I am sure one of you can help

after loading the latest open office, whenever I start my computer the open office starts, what do I do to stop it from running at windows boot

Regards
IA
ia1980
OpenOffice 3.3
Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
gplea

Post by gplea »

So, I installed OO 3 days ago. The field never populated with my Java 1.7.21, and for the life of me, I've checked every folder under Programs(x86)/Java/JRE, and have yet to have found a JRE. Oh! and I DID check (and even unchecked, and rechecked the box) the little box above it. Still no JRE. There's GOT to be a JRE SOMEWHERE in there, doesn't it?
Win 10 64-Bit / ASUS F555U /12Gig RAM
Apache OO 4.1.2
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

You may have a 64bit version of the JRE installed. You need the 32bit version for OOo even though you are running a 64bit OS. See also this post by Bill http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 76#p276376
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Greengiant224

Post by Greengiant224 »

This post gives full information about Java errors and how to fix on windows OS:

http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 21#p267331

Greengiant224

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)