PDF conversion

Not sure where to post? Post here!
Paul Lemons

PDF conversion

Post by Paul Lemons »

1. My HP scanner only saves files in pdf form.
2. This takes up a huge, unnecessary amount of data space (12 MB for only 1 page), which makes it terribly hard to send via email attachment.
3. I was told the OPEN Office could be used to convert pdf files into Word.doc files. Is this true, and if so how?
4. It is not worth me paying for Adobes upgrade software for this.

Thanks,
Paul Lemons
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: PDF conversion

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

In fact, your scanner puts a picture in a PDF. This is not a text file. So AOO cannot do anything about that. You need an OCR application. See: [Solved] Looking for OCR software recommendations.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

It is possible that your scanning software also has an OCR function. On scanners/copiers I have seen, that option is disabled by default (probably because the process takes considerably longer to complete), but when it is done you can copy text from the pdf output. Still it can be a large file, so copying to a plain text document (or into your e-mail) is recommended.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
lino
Volunteer

Post by lino »

I think the best solution would be to read the scanner manual and adjust settings. That's because I also use HP multi-function-gyzmo device and it produces extra small 160kb pdf files from A4 documents. It has to be set to "Document" instead of picture, photo or other high res plus trillions of colors settings.