Knoppix and OpenOffice.org

Talk about anything at all....
Georgia Boy

Knoppix and OpenOffice.org

Post by Georgia Boy »

I notice from reading the forums that there is quite a few people who use some form of Linux. I'm using Windows XP sp2. Someone has given me a Knoppix Live CD. I noticed that OpenOffice.org is on it. Some questions I have is:
(1) Can a person do updates, add extensions etc to this?
(2) How would a person do any saving to the updates, extensions, or any document that they create since this is a Live CD that is put into the disk drive every time you want to use it.

I'm doing research on the Linux since all I have ever used is Windows trying to decide what is good to use.There are so many different ones that I see, even in the forum here I notice the difference in the Linux programs. The individual that gave the CD to me said that it would be better for me to start out with something like this until I have gotten used to the way Linux handles. Then when I get brave enough maybe I can branch out and install some form of Linux to my computer hard drive. It seems like Knoppix is good, but as I was saying before, if I use the OpenOffice will I be able to do any updating or saving?
Sorry, but I have a lot to learn and the only way I can is to read and ask questions, please use layman terms as I have trouble sometimes understanding the technical terms.
Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions you can offer.
Georgia Boy
Yea!!!! I'm still learning!!! Got Squeeze. =D
OOo3.2.1
Debian Squeeze 6.0.6 on Desktop OO.o 3.2.1
Win 7 soon to dual boot on Laptop OO.o 3.4.1
hol.sten
Volunteer

Re: Knoppix and OpenOffice.org

Post by hol.sten »

As long as you use Knoppix from the Live CD I wouldn't try to update OOo or install extensions. They will always be lost after shutting down your computer. Even if there is a way to install or update you have to do it every time you boot from your Live CD.

But after you have put Knoppix on your hard drive, you can update OOo and install extensions.

My advice: The last downloadable Knoppix version if from January. That's quite a long time ago now. I gave Ubuntu and Kubuntu 7.10 this weekend a try and finally installed Kubuntu on my hard drive. Compared to the Knoppix HD install it was quite easy, although it needed some time due to scanning my hard drives for available partitions. The installation of Kubuntu put GRUB on my hard drive without my intervention. I can now easily choose between Kubuntu and Windows XP when I switch on my computer. I put Kubuntu on my hard drive and not Ubuntu because the Live CD of Ubuntu used nearly all my CPU with a Nautilus process.

Regards
hol.sten
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 • OOo 3.2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit and MS Windows XP
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

There are, or at least used to be, instructions on the Knoppix CD for how to save settings to a floppy disk or USB drive.

Having said that, live CDs are great for trying Linux, and especially for accessing your computer when Windows decides it doesn't want you to, but unless you have lots of RAM they're too slow for much use.
Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy »

Thanks hol.sten and Huw for your quick responses. As I mentioned before, I'm green at the Linux thing. I did notice that Knoppix says not to load to hard drive. I was reading on some of the other flavors of Linux. Do you have to manually configure the hard drive or dose the Linux programs take care of everything by itself when downloading or installing from the CD's? Do they also set up on their own where you have a choice of either Windows or the Linux program that was installed when starting the computer? As you can see from my questions that I have no knowledge what so ever on this and appreciate all help that I can get. Being green at this I don't want to go into my system and screw things up by accident. :oops: Hol.sten, I noticed that you installed Kubuntu. Was that from the CD? Did it do everything automatically or did you have to give it some help? I know, stupid questions, but look at what you guys are having to deal with. :)
Any body with any ideas please don't be shy. I can use all the education on this I can get. I have been going to different sites and trying to read up on it but as always all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!!!!
OOo3.2.1
hol.sten
Volunteer

Post by hol.sten »

Georgia Boy wrote:Do you have to manually configure the hard drive or dose the Linux programs take care of everything by itself when downloading or installing from the CD's?
That depends on the Linux distribution you select. Some simplify the installation, some not. An Ubuntu/Kubuntu installation is quite simple (relatively speaking).
Georgia Boy wrote:Do they also set up on their own where you have a choice of either Windows or the Linux program that was installed when starting the computer?
Ubuntu/Kubuntu install GRUB during the installation and set Ubuntu/Kubuntu as a default. But you can change that afterwards if you like and know where to look for the text file to configure GRUB.
Georgia Boy wrote:you installed Kubuntu. Was that from the CD?
Yes. I downloaded the Desktop Kubuntu 7.10 ISO image from the kubuntu web site and burned it as an ISO image on a rewritable CD. Don't burn it as a data CD, burn it as an ISO image. The CD boots afterwards without any problems.
Georgia Boy wrote:Did it do everything automatically or did you have to give it some help?
Installing was nearly automatically. You even get the option to resize your hard disk to get some disk space to install Ubuntu/Kubuntu. But I know how my hard drives are split in partitions so I choose "manually" to select my root, home and swap partitions without resizing my hard drive.

Caution: If you don't know what you are doing, there is always the risk to loose a large amount of your data (ok, even if you know virtually everything, you can loose a large amount of data). So make a backup before you start installing anything on your hard drive. With a new Linux CD of some sort I'm still doing that myself!
Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy »

Thanks hol.sten. I probably would really mess things up. I mean if people like you who use it all the time can mess something just think what I would do. :( Another question while I'm asking such dumb ones. When using Windows I use the free Zone Alarm for the firewall, free AVG anti-virus, Spyware Blaster, Windows Defender and Spybot. What happens with the Knoppix live CD? What protects you when using the live CD? Should I be concerned? I mean, especially the firewall protrection. Hate to open myself up for things. I wouldn't be doing the email from the CD but might be using the Mozilla. I know, stupid questions but as stated before I'm green at this. I was wondering about those things this morning when I got on the CD and was looking around. They have some good looking games there but noticed that I was only able to do some of the card games. Went to the help section but wasn't able to get anywhere at that.
The Kubuntu live CD, is it better than the Knoppix? I just go to the site and put in a regular CD and do a download? If I do load Linux I think I might have someone who is knowledgeable do it for me. Heck, I had fun getting used to Windows when it was 3.1.
I was learning the old dos software until I got my first computer and it was the Windows 3.1. So, I would need something loaded that as soon as I turned on my computer it would give a choice of using either Windows or Linux right at the beginning. Guess at that time I would be looking at security software designed for Linux. In the meantime I'll just be trying out the live CDs'.
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. You never stop learning. Believe me!!!
Tom
OOo3.2.1
hol.sten
Volunteer

Post by hol.sten »

Georgia Boy wrote:I probably would really mess things up.
I recommend to backup your files before you even think of installing Windows Whatever, too. So this advice applies not only to installing Linux Live CDs! And installing Kubuntu/Knoppix is as easy (or even easier) as installing Windows on a new computer. Installing a second operating system on a computer or replace the one you're already using is never riskless.
Georgia Boy wrote:When using Windows I use the free Zone Alarm for the firewall, free AVG anti-virus, Spyware Blaster, Windows Defender and Spybot.
Impressive, and now you're feeling safe? You ever felt safe with Windows on your computer? Ok, I have to admit that I have a free anti virus tool, too. But nothing of the others you listed.
Georgia Boy wrote:What protects you when using the live CD?
I never felt the necessity to protect myself running a Linux Live CD, because my computer is not directly connected to the internet. For that I'm using fli4l (http://www.fli4l.de).
Georgia Boy wrote:Should I be concerned?
In my opinon: No.
Georgia Boy wrote:The Kubuntu live CD, is it better than the Knoppix?
That's a question of taste. I prefer Kubuntu at the moment because it is the more recent version.
Georgia Boy wrote:I just go to the site and put in a regular CD and do a download?
Step 1: Download an ISO image Live CD like Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Knoppix, Kanotix, ...
Step 2: Put a blank (rewritable) CD in your CD writer.
Step 3: Burn the ISO image. Don't burn it as a data CD, burn it as an ISO image.
Step 4: Boot your computer from the CD.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Just for information, here is my experience about migrating to Linux : I started by testing several live-CDs. Liked very much SimplyMepis and installed it on HD as a dual boot (you can start your PC either on Windows or Linux, Mepis is a live-CD that can also be installed on HD afterwards).

I was a complete newbie to Linux. The hardest part was the Windows partitioning (I guess it has improved now). As Mepis is now based on the Ubuntu packages, I gave ubuntu a try and installed it on another laptop (100% Linux) that I always use now.

So just make backups of the data you don't want to lose (who knows what can happen) and go with it !

Note that Mepis can have a better hardware detection in some cases.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10