Cannot open Calc document after power shortage

Discuss the spreadsheet application
robin567

Cannot open Calc document after power shortage

Post by robin567 »

Hi,
I would be grateful for any help with this as I am having heart-attacks over the possibility of loosing this data!
My laptop lost power and shut down unexpectedly whilst my spreadsheet was open. Upon restarting, openoffice tried to recover the document but then presented a text import dialog box. Uopn pressing OK, a second box pops up stating that the document is locked for editing by an unknown user. If I choose to open a copy or a read-only document,it opens in writer rather then calc,and the document comprises of numerous pages of ########### only.

Properties show that the document is still of a decent size, does this suggest that my data is still present at all?

Is there any way that I can recover this document or the data within it?
I have not backed up this document in a long time and I know how much of an idiot I am for this and it will never happen again.
thanks
openoffice 3.2 on windows vista
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Cannot open calc document after power shortage

Post by thomasjk »

If your document is showing ########### then it cannot be restored. It is corrupt. Look in the user profile for a backup copy, filename.bak.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
robin567

Re: Cannot open calc document after power shortage

Post by robin567 »

Thanks for replying, I have just checked in backup in the user profile, unfortunately the folder is empty.
Is there anything else I can try?
openoffice 3.2 on windows vista
Hagar Delest

Re: Cannot open Calc document after power shortage

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sadly, quite nothing to do, see: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.
Any power shortage for example? It's a common root cause of such problem.

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OOo Tools>Options>OOo>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .ods and cross your fingers.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10