No one can open any documents that I email

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
xringx

No one can open any documents that I email

Post by xringx »

Never mind. I figured out how to change the extensions to match MS office.

But does bring up another question. I was reading a few replies, and most said to try to work in the native OO extensions as much as possible. Most everything I do has to be sent out to others. Am I going to be running into formating errors or some such issue?

Thanks
Caracalla
Volunteer

Re: No one can open any documents that I email

Post by Caracalla »

That depends on how complex the formatting of your documents is, but it's certainly possible yes. I've heard that the Novel version of OO has fewer problems in this regard.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

The rule of thumb is that you stick to the native format of OOo as long as you don't send your files to other people. If you write a report for somebody who wants to receive it in Word 2000 format you can start it in OOo as odt file, work on it as odt file save it as odt as often as you like. You only need to convert it to Word just before you send it.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
acknak

Post by acknak »

For which the File > Send > Email as Microsoft Word... option is quite handy.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
xringx

Post by xringx »

Thanks for the help.

Let me clarify even more. I receive most of my material ( I create very little, if any) via email, that is created on some version of MS Office. I then make small changes and resend those forms out to a crap load of people. I use mainly word and excel type documents. The excel type documents are somewhat complex, lines, varying fonts, etc. (might be complex to me and not to someone more experienced)

Based on that info, should I change the options back to the native extensions for OO and then change each individual document when I send it out?
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

That's hard to say. It depends on what kind of things are in those files that OOo has trouble with when converting. Varying fonts should not be a problem.
I assume that every time OOo opens a Word document it converts it to its own format, you edit it, and when you save it OOo remembers it was a Word doc to begin with and converts it back. So if you receive a file, edit it, send it on, saving it as .odt doesn't make a lot of sense. If you're making pots of money with it, and people have trouble with those files they get from you, even of you send them as Word or Excel files, I should consider getting Word and Excel. It's a lot of money but it saves lots of headaches.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum