Delete Hotkey For the Help Menu...

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
AdoptAPet

Delete Hotkey For the Help Menu...

Post by AdoptAPet »

I use a mini keyboard and not infrequently mis-type or finger hits the wrong row of keys. Is it possible to eliminate all the hotkey associations, especially the one which brings up the window for the Help Menu Index? I've eliminated many hotkeys by removing all the associations (that I can find) through the Tools>Customize... But even here, I cannot find how to make the Saved settings load automatically when OpenOffice.org Calc is re-started. (My OS is Linux Mint XFCE 13). Thanks for any insight!! :)
Please support your local humane society and animal shelter!!
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Mahatma Gandhi~
Hagar Delest

Re: Delete Hotkey For the Help Menu...

Post by Hagar Delest »

What are the "Saved settings" exactly?
Do you mean that your configuration is removed each time you close the application?
What OpenOffice version? (see How to update your software information signature).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
AdoptAPet

Post by AdoptAPet »

The OpenOffice version is 3.4. And yes, whenever I finish using Calc, close the program, then later re-open a file, the hot-key settings have reverted to what I assume is a default set of associations. I have saved my customized configuration with no hot-key associations to a folder and each time I open a Calc file, I must to through the steps of clicking on Tools>Customize>Keyboard>Load, select my saved configuration within its folder, and click on OK. Then there are no hot-key annoyances except the F1 key which is associated with the Help Index. And I can discover no way to eliminate that association but would dearly like to hear if its possible.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Mahatma Gandhi~
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Your customization should be kept from one session to another. If you do another customization, does it disappear also?
You can try to reset your OpenOffice user profile, perhaps there is a problem with the rights on some files.
AdoptAPet

Post by AdoptAPet »

Yes, I had to resort to reseting the 'user' profile as you instructed. Now it successfully retains the customized settings. Thank you very much. Now, if only I could eliminate the F1 key--Help Index association!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Some of the Fx shortcuts are grayed in the dialog. I fear that they are locked in the code by design because they are like a convention among operating systems (everything uses the F1 key for help files).

Perhaps you can ask the devs on their mailing list.
At least we have fixed your lost customization issue.
AdoptAPet

Post by AdoptAPet »

What you surmise sounds entirely probable. Probably the developers never imagined anyone would want the flexibility to delete the hotkey association for the help index.

You certainly have been most kind and generous with your time; you taught me another 'trick' , about refreshing the user profile, which will indeed save a lot of time and distraction. Even at 71, one does not get too old to learn! And I will strive to get free enough from the bookkeeping and life's other necessities to participate and be helpful in the forum also. Thanks again!!