Connecting to another data file through spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Jasper1106

Connecting to another data file through spreadsheet

Post by Jasper1106 »

Hi guys,

Firstly I would like to point out I am a complete noob when it comes to spreadsheets I know very basic forumula and how to fill in cells and change the colours .... that's as far as it goes.

A friend made this spreadsheet for me, however I have alot of duplicates that I would like to read off just one part of the file.

From row 22 - 160 I would like this data to be called from a seperate file. When I change the values from this second file the rest of the spreadsheet should change according to the exisiting forumlas.
Is this possible? I work with web design a lot so in this case it would be called through an "iframe, or ajax" but I'm not sure of the terminology for spreadsheets or whether it's even possible.

I have spied the menu item: ---> Insert ---> Link to External Data - however when I try to link the secondary file and highlight the table names I get the error "Unable to insert Row".

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I'm very lost? Many Thanks in advanced for any help!
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Connecting to another data file through spreadsheet

Post by Villeroy »

Sorry, it is absolutely unclear what you have (data and office version) and what you want to achieve.
It seems to be another case of a spreadsheet misused as database. Paste some example rows (or relevant parts of), tell us what makes a duplicate (same name, same part number, ID or entirely identical rows) and why you need to use more than one file (this makes things more complicated).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Jasper1106

Post by Jasper1106 »

Villeroy thank you for your very quick response!

Sorry! It's hard to explain when you know what you want to do but not sure how to explain.

I thought I attached this last time.

I'm using office version: 2.1

Please download the attachment and see rows 22 - 160

I would like this range of rows to be a seperate file and for the spreadsheet to call and update accordingly.
I have maybe 60 spreadsheets like the one attached, if I wanted to change the "Material Infomation" say the cost/unit for "Isogen" the spreadsheet then alters all the figures accordingly.
My problem is I do have 60 sheets like this for different items and don't particular want to update the material information 60 times.

I would like to try and run the material information seperately which is then called into each spreadsheet so the changes I make to the seperate file then applies automatically across all 60 files.....

Does this make a little more sense or have I confused things further? :oops:
cruiser_caracal.zip
Spreadsheet Example
(94.77 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

A horde of 60 online gamers? In a real world economy nobody would use 60 spreadsheets. An online database (like this forum) would allow for editing one set of tables simultanuously by 60 users with fine grained access privileges for users and groups. Forget about spreadsheets.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Jasper1106

Post by Jasper1106 »

Hi Villeroy,

Thanks for your input. Is there anyway I can link part of a spreadsheet into another spreadsheet or have I misinterpeted the "link to external data" option?
Undoubtedly there are easier ways of doing this but I would like to try and get this working within a spreadsheet, are you saying this functionality doesn't exist?

Many Thanks.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Villeroy's tutorial may help: [Tutorial] External Links In Calc
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux