[Solved] I need help with EVERYTHING!

Discuss the spreadsheet application
LANA2_01

[Solved] I need help with EVERYTHING!

Post by LANA2_01 »

I have NO idea where to start. Frankly I need to move a large amount of merchandise data from one area
to another. I have never done spreadsheets or any of this. Is there a board anywhere here for
folks that know absolutely NOTHING?? :oops:
I have windows v.6 SP-2- XP home. Any help would be so very very appreciated. I sincerely appreciate
this board and all the very smart folks here..(I am at this moment very DUMB!) :(
I am so excited to learn this. Is there REALLY a start-from-scratch, beginner board?
Thank you in advance,
Lana
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
acknak

Re: I need help with EVERYTHING!

Post by acknak »

There's no reason at all that you can't start here. The only problem is that it's a bit difficult to start completely from scratch when all you have is written conversation. If you really have no experience at all with a spreadsheet, I would suggest that you Google for a video tutorial. That, I think, will get you started faster than trying to use a forum like this.

There are some video tutorials for OpenOffice.org ("OOo"--you do have OOo running on your computer, right?), and even more for MS Excel. For a beginner, the basics are so similar, I think either would be fine.

If you can't find something, please don't hesitate to ask here. I'm sure we can locate something helpful.

Once you do that, just start up OOo Calc and play around a little. When you find something you don't understand, just ask. No problem.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
LANA2_01

Post by LANA2_01 »

Hi there, Acknak!
Just got in from work..ughh!!
:) Thank you so much for responding!! Also since I have started (being STUPID) :mrgreen: ...,
A first 'stupid' question, as I do not even yet know the correct questions to ask.
I have OOo 2.3 (is there a easier one?) :lol: I am 60 years old, but feel confident
that I CAN learn this if I persevere !! How do I delete the pages that I have already
saved (they are JUNK, play)??
I am going to read as much as I can and follow your first suggestions. I am sorry to be a
newbie 'pain'!! :roll:
Many many thanks!!
Lana

Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

LANA2_01 wrote:How do I delete the pages that I have already
saved (they are JUNK, play)??
I am going to read as much as I can and follow your first suggestions. I am sorry to be a
newbie 'pain'!!
Hey, that's part of what this forum is for, helping new users.
As for your pages, you want to get rid of pages within a document? They should disappear if you delete the text (or whatever you put there) that is on them. After you've done that, just save the document again, either via file->save or by pressing the CTRL and S key at the same time.
I have OOo 2.3 (is there a easier one?)
If you're just using "writer" you could give Abiword a try, that seems to be a bit simpler, but i have no experience with it so i cannot say for sure.
http://www.abisource.com/

hop this helps
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
acknak

Post by acknak »

I... feel confident that I CAN learn this if I persevere !!
Wow, what a great attitude. Believe me, that's half the battle. Just take it one step at a time; don't focus on what you don't know--there's still a lot that I don't know yet! No one knows it all, but you really don't need to know a lot to be productive.

I couldn't find any good "first steps" videos for Calc spreadsheets, but here is a good web page to start with:

http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org/c ... sheet.html

If you try that and have questions, just ask.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
LANA2_01

Post by LANA2_01 »

:D Hi all.. I just want to thank you all so much for your help, (and for being so nice to a old Grandma!) :lol:
and I AM following the steps you gave me closely.
I did not know what businesses I am allowed to mention, but here is the problem. I am trying to transfer a HUGE
Turbo lister (ebay) file into a spread sheet. (I need similar to a CSV).
If I am not allowed to say this here, Admins,
and Mods., please feel free to remove the business (and application) names. If anyone could assist me (just the
FIRST steps) on this particular thing, once again, I would be so grateful!!
Thank you all sincerely,
Lana
RonIA
Volunteer

Post by RonIA »

"similar to CSV"

Would it be possible to describe a bit more about how the data is organized?

As for the "pages" you have saved. If you are talking about complete documents the operating system is the best place to do that. For example, if you are using Microsoft Windows you would navigate to where the files are, something like My Documents, right click on them and choose Delete.

If they are individual pages within a document it would be different, but I assume it is the above situation.
Ron from Iowa, USA
LANA2_01

Post by LANA2_01 »

Ronia..Yes..you are corrcet..I actually did not mean to 'save' them at all..I was sort of
goofing around ...like a kid, and couldn't get rid of them :lol: :oops: I am going to do that
now..Does anyone know anything about moving big files like Turbo lister into a spread sheet
and then importing them elsewhere (after) actually into another bulk lister..?? ughh..
Thank you all!!
RonIA
Volunteer

Post by RonIA »

As stated above, a lot has to do with the format of the data. Without knowing if it is a comma delimited, space delimited, colon delimited, etc. file we won't necessarily be able to help. Can you open the file in OO.o Calc at all? Or OO.o Writer? If you can describe the data, or post a couple of lines we would have a much better chance at helping. I know I for one am not familiar with Turbo Lister, but if I see how the data is formatted I might be able to help.

Goofing around is how we learn, OK, maybe not goofing around, but experimenting is how most of us learn. Now you know how to create, save, and delete files in OO.o :D
Ron from Iowa, USA
LANA2_01

Post by LANA2_01 »

HEY ALL..
Hard day in retail..ughh, just back on..(very late) :D I will get some of those files for
you all to see...OK..I was able to open part ( it is comma delimited) of the TL into open office/Calc.
when I tried to move it to the new bulk loader (or lister) I could not even find it..It SEEMED
to load there, however!! After tomorrow, I will be off for a few days and really getting back
into this..I probably could have loaded a ton of it by now, one-by-one, but I so want to learn
this!! :mrgreen:
Note to Acknak: THIS helped a LOT!!
http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org/c ... sheet.html
Thank you all for being so nice!!