OpenOffice 3.4 is constantly crashing

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
fnglover

OpenOffice 3.4 is constantly crashing

Post by fnglover »

hello to all !

I recently upgraded to the version 3.4. When I am opening a document (.odt), writer crashes frequently et asks to recover the document. I can't keep a document open more than a few minutes, and, well, it is becoming somewhat annoying! :crazy: any help would be greatly appreciated! :super:

Best regards.

Francis.
OpenOffice 3.4
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice 3.4 is constantly crashing

Post by thomasjk »

Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
fnglover

Post by fnglover »

well, thank you... hum, I saw that, but I am not sure to understand fully what exactly I have to do... see, my level in computerish matter is not that great and I am afraid to do some mistakes on the way... :knock:
OpenOffice 3.4
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Just follow the steps outlined in the tutorial. First rename registrymodifications.xcu to registrymodifications.old. Restart AOO. If that doesn't help the use the nuclear option mentioned. If none of this works report back and we will suggest other things to try.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
fnglover

Post by fnglover »

ok, so I did follow the steps but I am unable to find the file "registrymodifications.xcu". In fact I still have the file named "registry" which is supposed to have changed in versions 3.x. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you!
OpenOffice 3.4
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

The file is located at C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Openoffice\3\user. AppData may be hidden. To View Hidden files:
Open Windows Explorer
Click Organize-->Folder and Search Options
Click the View Tab and check the button to "Show hidden files,folders and drives"
Click Apply and OK.
Now look for the file.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
jomogg

Post by jomogg »

The latest version of OO 3.4 Writer keeps crashing one me, and all the work I may have done disappears forever. It seems worst when one pastes material in from another page, or webpage. Also the formatting part of the page freezes in the middle of trying to delete material. Why release yet another update, and rewrite so much software, when before it was fairly reliable and safe to use. Im not very techno savvy, but despair of this latest version. Any comments or assistance are welcome. Thanks. John
Open Office 3.4 Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you tried to reset your user profile?
You can try to downgrade if you're not satisfied with AOO 3.4. A new 3.4.1 release is expected within a month.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
UKGeeza

Post by UKGeeza »

Same here. Have tried resetting user profile and the registry modifications file as well as uninstalling and reinstalling 3.4. All to no avail. If I can't get a solution today I will simply go back to the previous version and stay well clear from this one. I've never had a problem with OpenOffice and have been using various versions for years but this update is simply not worth the time wasted in fidgeting around.
Constantly crashing OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows 7
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Temporarily disable your AV and/or firewall software. Some of this software like Comodo is known to cause issue.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
e-Mule

Post by e-Mule »

I just fell back to 3.3. The new version crashed the first time I used it and then intermittently (but unfortunately, not rarely) in the few days since.

I'll wait for 3.4.1 before I try again. Too bad, though. I never had any problems with the previous versions.
OpenOffice 3.3
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
TheCandide

Post by TheCandide »

I'm having a similar issue, it started as one of several issues I was having with LibreOffice. LibreOffice would crash ever few minutes and do a document recovery. I've gone through the following steps:

1) Uninstalled LibreOffice
2) Ran CCleaner* and deleted profile
3) Installed new LibreOffice and got the same crashes
4) Uninstalled LibreOffice
5) Ran CCleaner and deleted profile
6) Installed OpenOffice and now have the same crashing issue.
7) Deleted profile for OpenOffice but continued to crash after less than a minute
8) Rebooted into Safe Mode with networking and the crashes continued but I found a way to trigger the crash:

First I open the OpenOffice Launcher, then click on "Tools", then "Options", I expand the "Internet" section... and this seems to be very important: The second I click on ANY of the Internet Option Subcategories it crashes. Could this have something to do with the Internet settings? Any idea how to shut OpenOffice's Internet related features off? What do OpenOffice and LibreOffice have in common on this issue?

After I wrote this I think it's a good idea to go into Safe Mode without networking and see if I can trigger the crash by clicking on the internet options.

*CCleaner is a program that cleans temporary files and unused registry values from Windows computers. It is useful for ensuring that nothing is left over from a previous installation.
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows 7
TheCandide

Post by TheCandide »

Update: Safe Mode without networking produced the same issue. However I found that LibreOffice, which has the exact same issue, has patched in a fix for their 3.6 RC2.

Bug that contains the issue I was having, with solution:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47044

Summary: "Some Windows versions would fail the InternetQueryOption call with ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY when the initial dwLength were zero (and are apparently fine with the initial sizeof (INTERNET_PROXY_INFO) and need no reallocation), while other versions fail with ERROR_INSUFFICIENT_BUFFER upon that initial dwLength and need a reallocation." - Stephan Bergman

I'm not sure if it's the exact same issue since Open Office and Libre Office have become completely separate. But since the bug acted the exact same way on both programs, I'm hoping that the Libre Office solution can lead to a solution here.

Thanks for your time
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows 7
purpleboo10

Post by purpleboo10 »

Hello,

I tried everything you mentioned in other posts to people with the same problem but it is still crashing every few minutes.

I turned off my firewall but that didn't work. Changed settings on my firewall to accommodate the applications but no.

Changed name to registry.old whatever that was.

Deleted .lock file, which by the way still appears every time I try to open my schedule. Deleted it in program files as well but it still appears.

Deleted your program and re-installed but no.

I don't understand how to change my profile etc. I can't find it to do that. Tried it a few times but didn't find the files

It has been working fine for months and in the last two weeks, it is doing this: crashing and recovering over and over.

It also won't open a new sheet on my spreadsheet. It says 'table cannot be inserted'.

I have Windows 7.

Is Open Office configured for Windows 7?

I didn't see it anywhere on the download links.

Help!

Deb
openoffice.3.4 build 9590. Windows 7
boback

Post by boback »

I have been using AOO 3.4.1 after upgrading a few weeks back. I also recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 7, which prompted me to get the latest version. After installing AOO 3.4.1 I found it constantly crashes on Windows 7. I have no problem with the copy of Windows XP. I followed ALL the suggestions found here and other places for deleting this, name changing this, redoing that, as well as multiple re-installs, and still have constant crashes. Sometimes it crashes BEFORE I can get to the options page to insure the automatic updates are off. Also, suggests are to let the document recovery complete and to let it complete several times and it will go away, doesn't. It will not complete one recovery. At one point I let it "recover" for over 1 hour. I also uninstalled on both machines, then installed a freshly downloaded copy on these two machines, and on a netbook (XP) that I have. The XP machines work without issues, but the Windows 7 crashes. I am running Windows 64-bit which came on the laptop. For now, I have uninstalled on the Windows 7 machines, cleaned out all the folders, and installed OOO 3.3 which has been working fine for a couple of days. Hopefully they will get this fixes because, based on the number of websites with comments about this problem, it won't take long before Microsoft and others take advantage of these problems and give the OpenOffice name a bigger black eye.
Bob Ackerman, Open Office version back to 3.3, Windows 7 & XP
boback

Post by boback »

I figured out something that worked for me. I uninstalled AOO 3.41, insured all profiles, folders and files were deleted, and rebooted. I then re-installed AOO 3.4.1 and immediately disabled the auto-update check. I started testing my files and immediately AOO locked up while trying to save my document. I realized that I had opened a document from an older version (3.3 or earlier). I then, again, removed and re-installed. I opened a old document and "Saved As" as new document, and it worked. As long as I remember to "Save As" on any old OOO documents, everything seems to work. I then moved all my old documents into a "Save-Old" folder so that I can open them as needed, and Save-As where they normally would go as I edit them. I suspect there is a problem between the versions OOO 3.3 and AOO 3.4.1 which causes the program to lock up upon document save. I haven't checked for updates yet, but I will wait until possibly 3.4.2 before I do.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The possible problem between OOo 3.3 and AOO 3.4 is an incompatibility in the User Profiles. If you delete or rename your User Profile (with OpenOffice closed), a new default profile will be generated on next startup of OpenOffice. Details on how to do this are given in Thomasjk's posting, second in this thread.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
boback

Post by boback »

The user profile issue was not my problem, or at least it did not solve my problem. And I tried that solution multiple times without success. I un-installed AOO 3.4.1 and deleted my profile and all AOO and OOO files I can find multiple times. Yet, when I opened a document originally created in 3.3, when attempting to save that revised document to itself, AOO crashed. Well, it just hung, and after forcing the program to end, it just starts repeatedly crashing. At least for me, the only solution that appears to be working is to save the document to a new filename. I have opened and closed several OOO 3.3 documents, and "Save-As" on each of them, reopened the new document, edited, then saved; multiple times today. Also, I rebooted and repeated these tests. My results are that AOO 3.4.1 has not crashed since I recognized that the problem may be related to the documents created on OOO 3.3 or before.
peterknight

Post by peterknight »

I recently installed OpenOffice 3.4.1 on a Dell Windows 7 laptop. It ran but crashed every time I closed the program when using the writer. Today, I tried to use the spreadsheet, but it crashed within a minute of opening. I tried resetting the user profile, but it didn't help. I uninstalled the program and installed legacy version 3.3 which appears to be stable.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7
Mayfurr

Post by Mayfurr »

TheCandide wrote:I found a way to trigger the crash:

First I open the OpenOffice Launcher, then click on "Tools", then "Options", I expand the "Internet" section... and this seems to be very important: The second I click on ANY of the Internet Option Subcategories it crashes. Could this have something to do with the Internet settings? Any idea how to shut OpenOffice's Internet related features off?
After reading this, I did the "delete user profile" step, then immediately started OpenOffice and was able to get into Internet Options / Proxy. I discovered that the default Internet Proxy values had some weird characters in it so I removed them and for good measure set "Proxy Server" to "None".

I've now been starting OpenOffice for a couple of weeks now without incident - my main concern was losing access to an OpenOffice database I'd migrated off Lotus Approach - and the "search for updates" function is now working properly as well.

Hope this helps!
---
OpenOffice 3.4
Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit)
Bob Hadley

Post by Bob Hadley »

I installed OO 3.4.1 a couple of weeks ago and my home budget spreadsheet crashed every time I opened it. Never had a problem with OO before. I read a number of these posts today and tried to see if an updated version was available to fix the problem. I am convinced the crashes occur when the program tries to access the Internet for updates, usually right after you get your work open. I also went to Tools-Options and did a manual request for updates. I received the error message that the search for update failed due to a failed Internet connection, so I turned off the automatic update search and have had no more crashes yet. Until Apache fixes this glitch it looks like the only way that I will get updates is to monitor the AOO site for new versions and download them when they become available.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
elunet

Post by elunet »

Many Thanks Bob Hadley. It worked! I was bedeviled with constant crashing shortly after downloading and installing Oo 3.4.1. Tried several times every suggested remedy, alas without success. Was on the point of reinstalling Word Perfect 9 when I came across the suggesting of de-activating automatic update check. No more crashing! :bravo: :bravo:
Now, will Oo please e-mail us when that glitch is fixed so we can download patch or newer version? Thank you Oo for an otherwise great program.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 Professional
Malapert

Post by Malapert »

Mayfurr - THANKS!!! After hours of searching, deleting profiles, renaming files and reinstalling four times, your solution worked!!! I also had chinese-looking characters in my proxy settings. Bless you!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

This issue has been discussed many times here. A forum search would have yielded the answer.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Slerte

Post by Slerte »

OpenOffice 3.4.1 was constantly crashing for me when editing certain documents. I tried the various suggestions here of resetting the user profile and disabling check for updates & internet proxy, but the thing that fixed it for me was boback's "save as" solution.
It only began crashing after I'd "saved" a document that had been created with an earlier version of OpenOffice (from another computer). Once I did "save as" instead of "save" the crashing problem stopped happening.
Thank you Bob Ackerman :super:
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows Vista 64bit SP2
Slerte

Post by Slerte »

Looks like I spoke too soon. It's been fine all afternoon, but now it is crashing again. Once just after I opened a document and then without a document open when I was trying to check the proxy settings. :(
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows Vista 64bit SP2
aeg100

Post by aeg100 »

I'm experiencing the same crashing with OS 3.4 in write and in calc running on XP Pro v3, I'm searching for solutions/ explanations; but haven't found any that are fool proof. Before upgrading to 3.4 from 3, I didn't have any crash issues. Hum...I'll admit I may be the biggest fool of all....lol I've removed and reinstalled open office twice and disabled auto updates, reset user profile, etc. After I've saved the document I'm working on 3 or 4 times, the frequency of crashing appears to decrease but doesn't disappear completely. Fortunately, document recovery works great, so I haven't lost any input. I save my input after a several keystokes. It's laborous and annoying but not insurmountable. Thanks, thomasjk for directing us to answers. 'wish I was a better programmer, so I could contribute more. Thank you programmer folks for performing such great work and providing Open Office + excellent documentation. Keep up your good work, I'll continue to contribute $.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows XP service pack 3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In view of the fixes you say you have applied, the problem with your OpenOffice is most likely caused by crosstalk from some other application running on your computer. If you have an active virus scanner, or a continuing backup utility such as some versions of Comodo, these may cause such a problem. Anything which touches an open OpenOffice file has been reported to cause crashes.

One test is to start Windows in Safe Mode (F8 key while "starting Windows" is displayed). If OpenOffice runs stable in that mode, then the problem is almost certainly caused by some application which runs when Windows is started in normal mode.

If you are getting the Blue Screen of Death this is almost certainly due to a hardware fault, such as failing RAM. In that case you should blow out your machine and reseat any RAM sticks.
Flynn MacNiall

Post by Flynn MacNiall »

I was using 4.1.3 for months and it was working all the time. Today OO text just would not save. Error message (Open Office not responding) finally i just closed it and it crashed. I upgraded to 4.1.4 which did not help. The program went from working to not working just over night and i have done nothing different Thank Goodness I have Windows Word which will open the document (after telling me it cannot). Why do i read lots of suggestions from other users but no real answers from anyone. Is this Web Democracy at work? No one is taking responsibility for the working program it seems I guess I am an idiot and should just use Word. I have wasted hours trying to figure this out and do not have the patience to mess with it anymore.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

We do not use or control your computer, so what has occurred is unique to your machine. What may have happened is that you had an improper close down of OpenOffice or of your computer before internal housekeeping was complete and there may be left-over OO processes. Clear these and all may be OK once more.

Start Taskmanager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice or Openoffice processes shown on TM's Details or Backgrounds tabs (Processes Tab on earlier Windows). Then exit TM and run OO.