[Solved] Problem accessing the forum

Let us know how we are doing -
Nocton
Volunteer

[Solved] Problem accessing the forum

Post by Nocton »

For the last week or so, when I try to access the form web site I get the meassge:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Sometimes the site seems to be down for most of the day. Other times, as today, the problem had cleared when I retried after about an hour.

Regards, Nocton
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
crusader
Volunteer

Re: Problem accessing the forum

Post by crusader »

Amen!
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The response from Apache Infra to a query from the Fr forum was
Result of my dialog with #asfinfra
[11:15] <@pctony> fr__: this service is technically a community run service
[11:15] <fr__> i don't know what is mean
[11:16] <@pctony> basically it means, in plain english, this is not truly an infra issue.
[11:18] <fr__> well how can we fixed this issue?
[11:20] <@pctony> fr__: I can restart the webservice, but this wont fix the problem! The issue is that MySQL has not been tuned and needs to be. You should contact the OOO community.
We need someone with MYSQL config skills, which I haven't. Any volunteers?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

Thank you, Villeroy. So what we really need is to trap the error and give an informative message. Or permit more connections.
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may need more analysis than just giving it more connections. Note that the number of connected users reported has remained at 294 since 25 October 2012; on some Forum crash occasions I have noted perhaps 120 Users - a long way off the 294. Perhaps there is some form of slowloris or other denial of service attack taking place.

Other notes remark that the "too many connections error" can arise as a spurious message from from full system logs or insufficient disk space.
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Post by B Marcelly »

Thinking about it, it looks like the connections to the server are never released, at least in some cases. That would explain the growing number of connections, until the limit is reached.
Bernard

OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 / Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 / LibreOffice 5.0.5
MS-Windows 7 Home SP1
acknak

Post by acknak »

So the forum is "community managed" ... has anyone contacted our admin, imacat http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/me ... le&u=54688

I just assumed that the problem affected more than just us (the problem seems to be something new) and either the Apache folks were looking into it, or that imacat would learn of the problem "somehow".

I guess we should have previously worked out what to do when a problem comes up :oops:
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Apparently the master Forum page works, but some, if not all, of the Forums may be intermittent.
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

There are also problems for the Dutch forum. The problems seems not always on the same time.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

acknak wrote:So the forum is "community managed" ... has anyone contacted our admin, imacat http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/me ... le&u=54688
Yes, I did on Mar. 14th and she replied that she would have a look.
acknak wrote:I guess we should have previously worked out what to do when a problem comes up :oops:
That's why we had asked for an additional admin on the mailing list, which led to imacat as new admin.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Hagar Delest wrote:...
acknak wrote:I guess we should have previously worked out what to do when a problem comes up :oops:
That's why we had asked for an additional admin on the mailing list, which led to imacat as new admin.
Sorry, I meant a protocol for a situation like this: who would take charge of contacting the admin, and how, since the forum could be off line.

This wasn't needed when Terry was the admin, as he was also using the forum. But now we need some defined way to make sure that the admin knows when there's a problem--and that we can know that it's being looked at.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

When I see problems, I send a mail directly to imacat. I fear that Drew has other priorities for the moment. Since nor the dev mailing list nor infra team is of any real support, we are on our own. So imacat is the only one who can help quickly. But due to the different time zone and perhaps her own workload, reactivity is much less good than with Terry.

If someone has some skills with such technical field, we could appoint him admin too.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10